Tahsin grinder ready to move up any suggestions

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love my grinder BUT ...bought it at the onestop jerky shop (great folks by the way) as our number of ferals grow I am looking for something faster and more powerful...!

The tasin we use for raw chicken parts...mostly thighs, bones and all. But I have to cut the parts into 2-3 inch pieces, even the bones so it won't bog down or stop altogether.

So I need a more powerful grinder that would handle bones, especially the knuckle portions without so much cutting and a faster feed.

The Jerkyshop sell another make, Weston 12 , that appears more powerful but the warranty says grinding bones will void warrenty.

So any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both a Tasin and a Weston #12. The Weston doesn't handle bones any better than the Tasin. The Weston grinds faster and the feeding tube is bigger so you don't have to cut the pieces so small. And it's quieter than the Tasin. That's about it though.

To get anything better than the Tasin or Weston I expect you would have to go with a large (expensive) commercial grinder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks

My real issue is "get this over quick as possible" . So if the Weston is faster and doesn't bog down as often?

The bones have never been an issue with the tasin so if the Weston does at least as well?

Can I make the cuts larger? That's what really takes the time... Cutting up the prices, including the bones, to those 2-3 inch long segments.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My real issue is "get this over quick as possible" . So if the Weston is faster and doesn't bog down as often?
It is faster. I wouldn't say it gets bogged down any less often.
The bones have never been an issue with the tasin so if the Weston does at least as well?
Yes.
 Can I make the cuts larger? That's what really takes the time... Cutting up the prices, including the bones, to those 2-3 inch long segments.
The feeding tube (the part on top where you put the pieces in) is larger in diameter so larger pieces will fit in it but length wise the pieces would have to be the same as with the Tasin.

mrskm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just getting started with homemade cat food, and we bought a kitchen aid stand mixer with an "aftermarket" meat grinder attachment. My husband and I really liked having something that can do more than just grind meat. He's used it to make our own ground beef, and today I made my first batch of homemade cat food using chicken thighs (with bones), following Dr. Pierson's recipe. It handled the chicken thigh bones no problem, and I used the mixer part to blend it all together! Although you were asking for meat grinder suggestions, I thought I'd throw in my experience with our arrangement in case it's helpful. :)