Taco meat and Diarrhea

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone while I was at work yesterday one if my kids I'm assuming Dora(20 mos 8lbs) got in the trash and I believe she ate some of the 1/2 lb of taco meat i had thrown out due to scorching (ground beef seasoned with Ortega powder undrained) well I didn't think anyone would have eaten any of it so I just picked up the can and tied off the bag taking it to the curb as I should have Tuesday night. That was untill about an hour ago when Dora had Diarrhea all over her self and her 5 ten week kittens as they like to snuggle at night in a pet carrier and the only thing I can think is she ate more than I realized I bathed the babies and put them back to "bed" but I'm wondering do I need to rush Dora to the vet in the Am or is this something that will pass and teach her not to get in the trash. Diarrhea was half liquid. Aside from this issue she's acting normal no excessive thirst and this is the third time she's pooped since I got home about 5:30pm I just didn't realize it was what it was., Thought maybe developing a sensitive stomach, then after the incident I think I figured it out as Dora had been known to eat things she shouldn't before and was the only one who would tip over the trash can like that which I why I kennel the dog when I'm not home same with the 5 babies they go in a large pet carrier when I can't supervise them. So what do you think do I have the ice storm and take her in if I can at 8 or will it pass?

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I think she got diarrhea due to the meat having a large amount of spices or garlic.
Try giving her soup of rice boiled with chicken, make the majority chicken.
If the diarrhea doesn't stop in two days, take her to the vet if you can.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would watch her. Make sure she drinks plenty of water, offer it to her in small bowls. It should pass by later today, but if it continues, take her in later today, or at least call them and ask what to do. These types of things usually take about 24 hours or so. You might make a tentative appt. and tell them you will cancel if she stops. Eating seasoned meat like that would definitely cause diarrhea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. But, look into a cat proof trash receptacle. This is not going to 'teach' her not to scavenge for food scraps.

While there are cats that just like to eat whatever they can find, consider the possibility that she is not getting enough food of her own which is what is driving her behavior. This is even more true if she is still nursing the babies.