Syringe feeding Persian kittens

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20200622_150040.jpg
Here is one of my sweet babies. My Persian cat Zelda had 5 babies this time and 2 of them are a little smaller than the rest so to have them gain a little extra weight I have syringe fed the two a few times. They are all healthy even though they are on the smaller scale of weight. I only started to syringe feed the two because theu were not gaining at least 7 grams a day. With the KMR milk I have been able to have them gain more. So anyhow they are doing pretty well and I only feed them when the mom has left but the runt is still hungry. They were born on 6-16-20. Today they are a week old. After syringe feeding sometimes I have gotten scared a few times because they sounded raspy afterwards. It makes me not want to syringe feed them at all but I feel like I have to with the smallest one at least. She was born only 63 grams and the first few days not gaining much at all. Now she is doing good but I dont want her to aspirate. Yes she is feeding with belly down and I feel her to make sure she is swallowing. She is fed very slowly. I did order some Meracle nipples to help but they dont come in until Friday. The other thing I thought was odd about these kittens is that they all sleep with mouths open. Maybe thats a persian thing though. Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How often do you mate your persian? She should only be bred once per year.

It sounds like a couple of her kittens are very small, and that is quite scary. I am also not familiar with kittens breathing with their mouths open, so keep an eye out. You sound experienced with supplemental feedings, but here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes thank you for your reply. I have actually watched the same video numerous times. I love the kitten lady very helpful. I really think the new nipple I will get will help a lot. I think they may be eating to fast. I have slowed it down a bunch and I haven't heard them raspy since yesterday. All of the kittens are weighing great and have gained at least 5 grams in the night or more. Except my smaller girl. She lost 2 grams but still gained 7 with in the 24 hour time frame. I only have one litter a year and she is registered with CFA. I am also a registered cattery now for CFA. This is just my 2nd litter ever and I only have the one kitty so far. The daddy is pure persian too but not CFA so he just got fixed. I am saving up to get a CFA male so that's why I had this litter of babies. The last litter she had was just as small kitten size. I'm starting to think she just may be on the smaller side of the persian breed. She has been such a good mommy this time. The last litter I didn't keep much of an eye on like these ones.