syncopathic event

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took my 15 yr old Izzy today to the emergency vet as I observed a syncopathic event followed by some yelping and panting. Emer vet said he probably had a mini stroke type of event. They put him on clopidogrel and furosemide after a chest xray revealed his heart is enlarged. We'll be having an appointment for an echocardiogram soon for more information regarding his condition.

Anyone have experience with these 2 meds? I'm curious what side effects to expect. I'm hoping his quality of life remains pretty good despite the fact that I'm trying to accept reality that this senior cat is having senior problems.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
probably the easiest thing to do is search (from the upper right corner) either of those drugs, or "enlarged heart" to find threads that match. I was able to find threads about Furosimide, but am working from an old laptop this week and am having issues copying and pasting (among other things) so cannot attach my search query

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See below for links to previous posts, as suggested above. However, your best bet might be to just do an internet search for the two meds, and another for enlarged heart, just to get the gist of the basics. The posts from this site are likely to go down paths that you cannot possibly know apply to you until you see the cardiologist. So, below the links on this site, are some from the internet that I found.
Search Results for Query: clopidogrel | TheCatSite
Search Results for Query: furosemide | TheCatSite
Search Results for Query: enlarged heart | TheCatSite

Clopidogrel - CVCA Cardiac Care for Pets (cvcavets.com)
Furosemide For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects - Cats.com
What Does an Enlarged Heart Mean for Cats? (petplace.com)

Keep us posted on what goes on, please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See below for links to previous posts, as suggested above. However, your best bet might be to just do an internet search for the two meds, and another for enlarged heart, just to get the gist of the basics. The posts from this site are likely to go down paths that you cannot possibly know apply to you until you see the cardiologist. So, below the links on this site, are some from the internet that I found.
Search Results for Query: clopidogrel | TheCatSite
Search Results for Query: furosemide | TheCatSite
Search Results for Query: enlarged heart | TheCatSite

Clopidogrel - CVCA Cardiac Care for Pets (cvcavets.com)
Furosemide For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects - Cats.com
What Does an Enlarged Heart Mean for Cats? (petplace.com)

Keep us posted on what goes on, please.
thanks for the links!

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
echocardiogram is scheduled for April 19th, so I'll need to sit tight until then, and hope that the prescribed meds do their intended job in the meantime, and Izzy can live his life comfortably

EDIT- moved up to March 28th, an opening became available 👍

Last edited:

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little 2 week update regarding Izzy's condition...

He's got early congestive heart failure caused by HCM. He's been prescribed long term to continue the Lasix diuretic for fluid buildup and Plavix for future risk of clot formation. He's got a vet appt scheduled for the beginning of May to have a comprehensive exam but I will have them pivot to check instead his kidney values and electrolytes. Not sure of the long term prognosis except maybe he lives another year, maybe a year and a half. I've mainly stayed away from the computer at night in order to just spend more time with him. I was pretty sad the couple days after the cardiologist confirmed things for us, but I've slowly fallen into a groove with his meds and just being buddies with him like normal times. Trying to not think about his disease is tough, but I know so many folks in this forum have done it, I just need to get there over time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the update. Totally understand taking some time to digest it all. It does help to get into a groove with meds, some level of stability anyway for sure to do so. Keep in touch as you would like; we are rooting for you and Izzy.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Izzy is doing ok, this past week he had another episode where he cried out/panted but was ok after a few minutes. This morning he's been more vocal, and I noticed him walking ok but shaking one of his rear legs. Not sure if the leg shake is the result of CHF or something else. He's taking his meds but has developed a little bit of nausea from them, periodically vomiting. Still trying to get a handle of the routine...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the leg shaking isn't anything serious!!! You might call the vet and ask them if there is a possibility that it could be connected to his CHF.

Make sure he eats when he takes the meds, so many of them seem to cause stomach distress, especially when given on an empty stomach.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope the leg shaking isn't anything serious!!! You might call the vet and ask them if there is a possibility that it could be connected to his CHF.
he's got a vet appt Wednesday to conduct kidney test and a basic comprehensive exam so I'll definitely be watching his gait as he walks until then, I'm hoping its just a muscle strain or something minor

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not very good at this sort of thing (some folks are much more eloquent)...

Last night Izzy passed away. I think he went with little suffering. I'm pretty distraught that I wasn't there next to him, but he ended up walking to the basement and I'm guessing his heart just gave out. After diagnosis I had another 4 months with him, so I'm very grateful for that. Tomorrow was supposed to be the 16th anniversary of when we adopted him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss of Izzy. It sounds very much as if he had continued on as long as he could, with your help, and just went to sleep. Your 16 years together is a tribute to the care that you gave him.

When a cat passes on, we close the thread out of respect. If you would like to post a tribute to Izzy, you are welcome to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.