Swollen Paws

bountyhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 year old female Himylayan has a problem with swollen paws. 1st one (LF)about 2 months ago Vet shaved and found no wounds or cause and gave antibiotics. Shortley after that one healed, her (RR) paw became swollen, again shaved and no wounds or cause and gave antibiotics. Now shortley after that one healed she now has another (LF) paw swollen and of course I find no wounds. She is front declawed (long time healed), Indoor only, her coat doesn't look as healthy as her brothers(he is neutered) but vet was not worried. No bloodwork or X-Rays taken. She limps with the swelling but continues run and play hard. She is coming in to heat, she eats the same food as her brother and I have no environmental concerns that I know I know of. Any ideas?

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be her de clawing was botched and the claws are trying to regrow and causing discomfort and swelling as they try to come through the skin. Declawing often leads to problems for the life of the cat.

I hope you will try another vet to get a second opinion and maybe xrays to see what is going on inside the feet.

Teresa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bountyhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the swelling involves more of the foot than just the toes, its more in the large pad area and involves about 3 inches of lower foot area.
I'm confident it does not involve the declawing at all, and one of the swollen feet was on the rear which was not declawed

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What concerns me is that you say that your VET does NOT seem concerned.

She may be allergic to her food or airborne particles such as pollen. Swollen feet can also be caused by an immune system disorder , etc. etc. etc.

Please get a second opinion..

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree re the second opinion, especially since this is recurring.

Not at all that this would be it, but my one experience with swollen paw pads, was with my Joshua.(RB) In his case, it was another aspect of the eiosinophilic granulosum he had (previous to the swollen paw pads, he had developped what is also called rodent ulcer on his chin - it became very swollen). Fortunately, it was a one time occurence for him, and I think we treated it with prednisone, but it was many years ago.

ps sorry my spelling is atrocious (and believe or not, my first college degree was in English!)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats and dogs with bone infection exhibit swollen paws and/or limbs.

I would not only get a second opinion, but I would also insist on x-rays and bloodwork.

bountyhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got a 2nd opinion on the swollen paws and the Vet seems to think it insect bites (probably spider) but is uncertain. She asperated the swollen area but got nothing out of the swollen area. We had her do a full blood work since we want to get her pregnant soon, the initial blood work showed no problems but 2nd part (took longer) showed that she has some sort (my wife talked to the vet) of feline Leukemia
, the vet says 1 kind is treatable and the other is not treatable and they are doing more blood work to find more info. So needless to say my wife is really bummed about this news but were hoping for the best. And I still dont know if this has anything to do with the swollen paws.

bountyhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news Roxanne does not have Leukemia at all but does have the Coronna virus which does not need treatment, so except for the swollen paws she is doing GREAT and we couldn't be happier. Thanks

bountyhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The previous post were for the 3rd swollen paw, well now were on our 4th swollen paw all on different limbs all swollen exactly the same way, 2 different vets dont have a clue. again all blood work found nothing. again if anybody has any ideas I wanna hear it! Thanks

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This might be a silly idea, but have you tried changing her litter? Maybe she has developed some sort of sensitivity to the litter she is using.

liz l

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has any vet mentioned Feline eosinophilic complex, or EGC? Swollen paws is a symptom of this and it is treated allopathically with steroids. (I prefer holistic treatments.....but have not run into this condition with my cats so cannot recommend any for this...) My sister's cat just went through something similar.....only she also had ulcers in her mouth, another symtptom of EGC.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BountyHunter

The previous post were for the 3rd swollen paw, well now were on our 4th swollen paw all on different limbs all swollen exactly the same way, 2 different vets dont have a clue. again all blood work found nothing. again if anybody has any ideas I wanna hear it! Thanks
As I mentioned on 7/13...Joshua had swollen paws...it was part of eiosinophliic granulosum - also responsible for what are called rodent ulcers. I'd at least ask them to rule this out, or treat as if.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liz L

Has any vet mentioned Feline eosinophilic complex, or EGC? Swollen paws is a symptom of this and it is treated allopathically with steroids. (I prefer holistic treatments.....but have not run into this condition with my cats so cannot recommend any for this...) My sister's cat just went through something similar.....only she also had ulcers in her mouth, another symtptom of EGC.
My thoughts exactly since this did happen to one of my cats with this condition.