Swollen Paw & Leg

Humphreyonthemove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, my Humphrey had to go to hospital as he disappeared for a day and night and when he returned he was vomiting and not eating. I took him to the vet who said it could be liver related due to a drug resistant parasite! They booked him in for a night and put on an IV and fed him. They have not told me yet what the cause was, but he has bounced back and came home last night. However, his paw has doubled in size and his leg is also swollen. What should I do? It was a very expensive procedure having him at the vet. Just so relieved he is better.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it the same paw/leg that the IV was in? If so, I worry about something like a blood clot or swelling from vessel damage due to the IV. If it's a different leg, is there a chance he injured it somehow while he was out? Did he limp or favor that leg when he came back home? Either way, I'm afraid it warrants another vet visit soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. Another vet check is definitely indicated, especially if it is the leg with the IV. Don't take chances on this.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would at least call and let your vet know what is going on. If the swelling is in the same leg as the IV this needs to be discussed with your vet. Be honest with the situation about your funds if this an issue. Hopefully the vet will work something out with you.