Swollen Lower Lip

Cmgna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been eating out of a plastic bowl for years. He eats the same type of food. Same treats. Today I noticed his lower lip was swollen and ut wasnt like that yesterday. I went on different forums and they all said allergy. But to what? I changed all the bowls in the house to steel just in case he developed a plastic allergy. But what else can I do? I thought maybe it was some kind of cat acne thing. He has little black dots on his chin. Which I just put witch hazel on. Would that be related to his swollen lip?
IMG_20190113_185150.jpg
IMG_20190113_185150.jpg

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those black dots do resemble cat acne, but the swelling is not typical. I'd consider having a vet check, just to make sure he doesn't have an abcess forming from something.

AllyCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been eating out of a plastic bowl for years. He eats the same type of food. Same treats. Today I noticed his lower lip was swollen and ut wasnt like that yesterday. I went on different forums and they all said allergy. But to what? I changed all the bowls in the house to steel just in case he developed a plastic allergy. But what else can I do? I thought maybe it was some kind of cat acne thing. He has little black dots on his chin. Which I just put witch hazel on. Would that be related to his swollen lip?View attachment 270592 View attachment 270592
Thank you for this post! My girl Bugsy, a new mommy of 5 new adorable kittens just came up to me and I noticed her bottom lip was swollen similar to your cat's lip. It stands out more because her lip is pink but your pic was the best frame of reference. The advice given here caused me to register. Now with the new kittens we prayed for so badly, in my 40s I am back to being the new mom calling the vet everyday for everything hahaha! Thank God they are kind and patient and don't make me come in for simple advice. But when I was helping Momma when she was delivering (only because this is the 3rd time I helped the other 2 were strays. One picked my front door step and every kitten came out not breathing so I was rubbing bellies, soothing momma and rubbing mommy's belly because she was having such a horrible go at it, screaming in pain. She couldn't wash the babies to get them going. But they were all OK). So I was paranoid and I am glad I watched because in between kittens, a kitten in a sac started coming out but the sac ruptured and came out and the kitten went back in and never came back out. Making it toxic for mom and babies. So just after giving birth for the first time, (I am disabled and can't currently drive, and fiance was away) she had to be taken to vet twice where she was separated from her kittens and taken by people she didn't know. So clearly she thought we were trying to keep her from her babies and she kept trying to move them. So it's been a while without any real sleep. The first 3 weeks hardly any. I was so scared they'd get hurt or be too cold. My daughter and I blocked off any area we couldn't get to that she could hahaha. But she trusts me again and all is well but I jumped as soon as I saw that. Your post and this community has been tremendously helpful and I am very grateful 🙏 Thanks you to all of you! Hopefully I will be able to repay the favor.

AllyCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your concern. My suspicion is a flea bite. We had rescued 2 ferrets and they had fleas which we tried to manage quicky but you know fleas we had a sudden outbreak just before she had them. But now that she is a nursing mom we cannot treat her we have treated the rest of the zoo (it's crazy one day in my 20s now 40s I had a psychic tell me I had stray cat syndrome! If only she knew how right she was! We have (all through rescue) 4 ferrets, 3 cats (now 5 kittens) and the sweetest little pittie you'll ever meet, I swear she thinks she is the mother to my youngest daughter and can mother better than me and most likelt can hahaha. Anyway, we have to wait a couple more weeks or so until she is done nursing. She keeps them very clean but occasionally a stray flea will get in and of course mom gets out to stretch her legs and do her thing. But yes tomorrow I will be contacting her vet just to see even though today the swelling is gone and based upon my new mom frenzied research this tells me it was infact a flea bite. Thank you again for your kind concern. This site is so delightful, incredibly helpful, and reassuring. You can tell that everyone here truly cares!

AllyCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your concern. My suspicion is a flea bite. We had rescued 2 ferrets and they had fleas which we tried to manage quicky but you know fleas we had a sudden outbreak just before she had them. But now that she is a nursing mom we cannot treat her we have treated the rest of the zoo (it's crazy one day in my 20s now 40s I had a psychic tell me I had stray cat syndrome! If only she knew how right she was! We have (all through rescue) 4 ferrets, 3 cats (now 5 kittens) and the sweetest little pittie you'll ever meet, I swear she thinks she is the mother to my youngest daughter and can mother better than me and most likelt can hahaha. Anyway, we have to wait a couple more weeks or so until she is done nursing. She keeps them very clean but occasionally a stray flea will get in and of course mom gets out to stretch her legs and do her thing. But yes tomorrow I will be contacting her vet just to see even though today the swelling is gone and based upon my new mom frenzied research this tells me it was infact a flea bite. Thank you again for your kind concern. This site is so delightful, incredibly helpful, and reassuring. You can tell that everyone here truly cares!
Thank you for the lovely guys you all are so kind and sweet. I actually have a question. Is there a way to get texts instead of emails because I don't check my email often? I have been raised and always had animals and don't want to miss an opportunity to help someone if I can.