Swollen lip

Liquidimports

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This started a week ago. The lower right ate was painful to touch before the lip got swollen. It no longer seems to be painful but now the lip is swollen. It got better after a few days but now it looks bad again. I’m not so sure it’s allergies because nothing changed in his diet. how concerning is it? Berry is 16 years young

Attachments

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Poor guy! It looks like an eosinophilic granuloma, common name rodent ulcer. Vets typically treat them with a steroid shot. I had a cat many years ago that got them repeatedly, and each time, I’d have to take her to the vet for a shot. I finally discovered that she was allergic to the tiny amount of milk I was giving her. Once I stopped, it never happened again. So, yes, usually an allergy of some kind.

Current kitty Mocha has gotten a rodent ulcer twice. The first time she got a steroid shot. The second time it disappeared on its own after 24 hours before I could get an appointment. Since Berry’s lip has swollen again, I’d recommend a trip to the vet for him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was also going to say rodent ulcer, but it could be a dental issue. At 16yo for a cat, everything becomes concerning - no different than older humans whose immune systems just don't work the way they used to.

A typical factor found in rodent ulcers is some sort of 'offending' bacteria, commonly found in plastic food/water dishes, or any kind of bowls/dishes that are not cleaned daily. If that is not possible in your situation, then probably is an allergy of some sort. Or a tooth problem and a possible related abscess from it. Abscesses will swell, drain, and swell again - and they are more painful before they drain.