Swollen Hind Leg

jasonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I noticed that my cat has a swollen hind leg. She already had trouble walking due to her old age, now it is even more difficult. She has heart and kidney failure for which she gets treated. I thought it could be retained fluid, as he has it in her belly, but it is on her left leg only so I guess it is something else. Any ideas as to what could be the cause? Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW I cannot see any traces of a wound. She almost never gets outside and sleeps and eats most of the time.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It could be swelling from a bruise or a sprain. Can you take her to the vet?

jasonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet saw her. She had no feeling in her left hind leg whatsoever. He said that it could be an obstruction due to a blood clot, and/or lymphedema. I have noticed that her left front pawn has swollen now as well, also the left side of her belly. She is old and very fragile so it could be many things; I don't want to put her in too much stress with further examinations. But I do wonder if anyone has an idea what it might be, as I am interested to know. Thanks.

View attachment 191788 View attachment 191789

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you saw the vet but other than him telling you what it could be, what did he recommend doing for her? :headscratch:
The possibility of a blood clot, no feeling in her left leg and swelling in her belly seems serious and would concern me. Unfortunately I'm not able to offer an idea/opinion as to what could be causing it. However, it sounds like she needs further medical care, some type of treatment, test(s), etc.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You could ask that a chest exray be done. I had a senior cat with first sore paw on one leg and then another leg with swelling and a paw sore that turned out to be lung cancer which had metasticized to her paws.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about you losing your kitty. You gave her an extraordinary long, good life and at least she died at home in a place where she was happy. There is not much that can comfort you though when you lose your best friend. My girl was 19 when she died, and it was devastating. When they are the last cat, it also leaves you feeling so empty. I did not intend to get another cat, but I lasted exactly a week before adopting an adult cat from a shelter. It is not the same relationship as I had with my other cat but I have grown to love her and have been able to give her the spoiled pampered life every cat deserves.

Give it some time, and let your heart tell you whether there is a place for another cat or cats in your life.

jasonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: