Swollen front leg a likely fracture?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not only do I have the issue of catching the right cat and not the others, but I also have a flock of Ducks that roam around where I live and they are constantly eating the food I leave for this cat. There's around 11 of them (young with their mothers). And no matter what you do to scare them away, they come back. Making it more difficult to trap the cat and not a duck. :(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will surely be tricky, I've had to do it many times, just be creative, I've used dry food and thrown it at the intruders to send them another direction, I've put food out elsewhere to keep others away, if he comes after the others are eating, then he will likely hang around behind the rest when they're done and go away. 

Same thing with a regular trap even, get everyone used to eating inside the trap at the back, using a zip tie to secure the door from shutting, until all are going in to eat, then set it when he comes.

I've even had to go as far as using a fishing net, hiding it behind me, when cat is busy eating ti=una, place it over him them stand on the frame so he can't escape. Then a big towel over him, etc.

That one though you can't miss, you get one shot.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Orange came back today and he was so hungry that he risked coming upstairs even with Crusty guarding the door! He then laid down and groomed himself and was able to take some good pics with a zoom!!

It was NOT a fracture (it certainly looked like one), but it was probably an abscess as some suggested!!

Here are the pics. At least he is doing well it seems. 

Crusty ended up chasing him out. Orange is not neutered (that will be another project)

Thank you all who commented on this thread!!! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just as I thought, and very happy to see he has returned now that his abcess has burst and draining, so the pain is gone now :)

Excellent!

I see he needs a sniperoo :)

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Just as I thought, and very happy to see he has returned now that his abcess has burst and draining, so the pain is gone now :)

Excellent!

I see he needs a sniperoo :)
Sniperoo all the way for him lol!! It is in the to do list.

He is too cute and if he is friendly I could see about finding him a home. :) That puncture wound looks raw. Hope he doesn't infect it again.  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It won't infect, he will keep it good and clean which keeps it opened up for the infected fluid to drain completely, at this point it is nearly over with :)

It will scab and heal quickly now.

LOL glad you like the term I used!  

Last edited:

yummy520

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My feral gets out every so often. He has come back three times now with bites. The first time, I put cotton balls of very hot water on the puncture on his back and within hours it opened and started draining. I gave him vitamin c tabs every 6 hours (about 300 mgs) and he healed very well. The second time, he opened it himself but I still gave him the vitamin c. This last time was horrible cause the bite was at the base of his tail. I didn't know if it was a fracture, or another puncture with abcess. The ways a cat can breaks its tail didn't seem to fit his circumstances. I waited and watched closely for fever or sickness, ready to run to the vet, but that turned out not to be neccessary cause I placed a hot water bottle lightly against the inflamed area of his tail. He stayed laying right there almost like he knew this was gonna help. Within ten minutes there was goo coming out. Up to this point, I hadn't known if it was a break, or an abcess. I was so glad to see that goo cause now I knew what i was dealing with and now he was on his road to recovery. As he had done before, he pulled all of the fur off all around the wound and began his cleansing process. He's almost all back to normal.