Swollen cat anus

jabberwock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is four years old, and something weird happened today that, even though I have an appointment for him at seven tonight, still has my stomach in knots. He hasn't been pooping much lately, I think due to the change of food, but he acted completely normal. Earlier his butt was very swollen and Rex and when I went to touch near his tail he meowed in pain. He couldn't lay down properly, he had his butt in the air. So I, in a panic, ran outside to make a call to the vet. By the time I came back in (ten minutes tops) the swelling was gone and he seemed 100% normal. He's still getting to a vet today because he stoll needs to be seen. I can see it's tender and it's kind of "oozing" but nothing horrible. I'm just hoping it's not serious. If you have anything to say about this I'd love to hear your input. Thank you.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may have had a rectal prolapse, which is where the intestine actually pushes out of the body.  It sounds like that may have been happening and while you called the vet, the prolapse reversed and went back into the body.  Be sure to tell the vet about it.  If it happens again before you get there, keep the part that's sticking out wet with lukewarm slightly salty water as best you can, wrap him gently in a towel with wet rag over the prolapse and get him in ASAP.  I'm not sure what time zone you are in, but under these circumstances, the vet will probably see him as soon as you can get him there so I would suggest taking him on in now.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jabberwock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately when I called my vet they couldn't get him until later. (About an hour and a half). But I just checked him again and it looks completely normal and he seems fine. Thank you for your input and I will let you know what happens at the vet! :)