Swollen Breast

imadmwk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

My cat aged one year & half is been pregnant for about month & 10 days now, she is a bit small is size then normal cat
her beast is swollen and it had me worried, I took her to the vet & we did a Echo for her
the scan confirms pregnancy and confirm five cute kitten yet to be born
the doctor says this is because of increase of hormones and will go away after the cat give birth.
he also suggest hot water wipes with massage and some chamomile to be applied after.
I've bean doing this for two days and yet the swollen as it is.. and it had me worried sick..
Kindly tell me if this is really normal, or if I should do anything else.
pictures attached
upload_2019-4-4_14-8-11.png

upload_2019-4-4_14-8-43.png

upload_2019-4-4_14-8-58.png

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure of her due date?

Am doing how large is she? How much does she weigh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imadmwk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure of her due date?

Am doing how large is she? How much does she weigh?
She will be due in a month or so ..
her weighted 2.300 kg before pregnancy

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put warm wash cloths on the area to help with circulation. Leave them until they are cool. She looks like she is already producing milk, highly unusual. The good thing is, it's not red and hot looking which would indicate something wrong. A little massage helps too. If it becomes painful or very red, make sure she gets to a vet, but if she seems in no pain, it is not hot to the touch, just monitor it and keep applying warm compresses.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears to me that she has mammary hyperplasia. It is because of hormones. Most vets suggest spaying. I went through this with one of my girls with a litter. She looked AWFUL - waddled around she was so big. My vet put her on clavamox until the kittens were born and swelling started subsiding because she was so big we were afraid she would ulcerate or rupture (it can happen). Warm cloths help if she will let you and I have been told to use a sock of something to hold cabbage leaves on the site - it is supposed to help. I never did that so can't say if it does. If you breed her again, she should be fine. My girl also did not have any trouble nursing the kittens either.