Swollen breast draining to leg?

ron daye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't get my cat into the vet until tomorrow, unless I go for an emergency appointment. I can't really afford that, so I am looking for some opinions as to whether she should be okay until tomorrow.

Last night I noticed a large lump on one of my cat's breasts. It was so swollen, it looked blueish under the skin. This morning, the lump is gone, but there is a lot of fluid around her back leg on the side where the lump was. She is not limping, is still playing and acting normal, but she won't let me near it (she doesn't like to be touched much except on her terms anyway). I want to take her temp. but that's never going to happen, unless I am willing to sacrifice a few limbs and an eye or two.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Ron and welcome to The Cat Site! :wavey: I'm sorry it's under such circumstances.

I have no experience with this, but it certainly sounds concerning. To be honest if it were my cat I'd be getting her in there as soon as possible. Is your vet closed today? If my vet is slammed with appointments or if it is one of their surgery days they have let me drop my cat off so they can fit her in when they can and then call me when they get a chance. Any chance of you being able to do this? If today is absolutely not an option, can you try to get her in first thing tomorrow morning? I really do think she should be seen sooner rather than later.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. :cross:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only a vet can know for sure, but if it drained it very well could be an abscess (I'm hoping so, can be cured) If it is she may need only some antibiotics and be fine. When an abscess bursts it usually is a clear liquid intermingled with blood. She should still be seen to find out what it was. I really don't think a tumor or something like that would burst and drain. Maybe you might want to call your vet and see what they say. Good luck, welcome to the site, and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ron daye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. I just got back from the vet, I called around to a couple others until I found one that would squeeze me in. This vet was great, and told me to come in right away!

So the news is not good. It is not an infection. The vet believes it is secondary to the lump on her breast (which the vet was able to discover is still there). She believes that it is cancer. They were so great there, but they told me at this time I should just try to keep her comfortable and let them know if she gets worse. I guess I am supposed to prepare for the inevitable at this point.

She was my grandmother's cat, I took her in a few years ago when my nan was hospitalized. My grandmother died from cancer, this is bringing up a lot of memories. I was worried that was what it was, to the point I was almost hoping it was an infection.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. I went through similar earlier this year, but the cancer was in the jaw. There was really nothing to do either, so I spoiled her rotten! 

If you want, you can always see another vet for a second opinion, but that's up to you to decide if you want to put kitty through another vet visit. Hugs!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry. :hugs: Did they suggest any type of treatment at all?