Switching wet food

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I just got a 3 1/2 months old kitten and I am planning to change her wet food, which is royal canin kitten since the beginning. I read from somewhere that when it comes to wet food you can immediately switch from one brand to another. How true is that? Is the gradual switching only applicable to dry food? TIA for those who will take time to answer.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Slow transition for sure! You just never know with cats.. Especially if the food you're switching from and two have different ingredients. Most young healthy cats won't have an issue (like specter doesn't) it's still a good idea to be slow as to avoid a pukey mess or some other sort of digestive drama, especially to rule out what is causing that drama; to see if it's eating too quick, the food itself is bad, or the ingredients don't sit well.. so on and so fourth .. :disappointed: Specter is OK with a 2 day transition, say, I put half of a new thing into her food, half the next day and then feed the thing fully the third day, but some cats will need even more time and slowness, it's up to you and your cat. :heartshape:but I would heavily encourage a large rotation of food from this early age of a couple of good brands and homeade if you're willing, so as to avoid them getting stuck on a certain food down the line, as most foods end up going out of stock or unavailable down the road...it's best for cats to have several brands they float through! Introduce slowly and monitor how they sit with your cat; is a good rule of thumb..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Slow transition for sure! You just never know with cats.. Especially if the food you're switching from and two have different ingredients. Most young healthy cats won't have an issue (like specter doesn't) it's still a good idea to be slow as to avoid a pukey mess or some other sort of digestive drama, especially to rule out what is causing that drama; to see if it's eating too quick, the food itself is bad, or the ingredients don't sit well.. so on and so fourth .. :disappointed: Specter is OK with a 2 day transition, say, I put half of a new thing into her food, half the next day and then feed the thing fully the third day, but some cats will need even more time and slowness, it's up to you and your cat. :heartshape:but I would heavily encourage a large rotation of food from this early age of a couple of good brands and homeade if you're willing, so as to avoid them getting stuck on a certain food down the line, as most foods end up going out of stock or unavailable down the road...it's best for cats to have several brands they float through! Introduce slowly and monitor how they sit with your cat; is a good rule of thumb..
Wow that's very informative. Thanks for sharing Mate.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely a good idea to start slowly since some cats (especially kittens, I believe) can be really sensitive to changes in their food.

Our cats have problems with certain ingredients (some things just make them barf) but they do fine with having their food changed constantly. As SpecterOhPossum SpecterOhPossum mentioned, there are lots of good reasons to feed multiple brands and "modes" of food if your cat can handle eating that way. In the six years we've had our current two cats, we've seen lots of their favorite foods disappear, temporarily or permanently due to things like recipe changes (either they didn't like the new version or I didn't approve of a new ingredient), the companies discontinuing the food, and production problems. That can get really annoying so having other foods to fall back on can really help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's definitely a good idea to start slowly since some cats (especially kittens, I believe) can be really sensitive to changes in their food.

Our cats have problems with certain ingredients (some things just make them barf) but they do fine with having their food changed constantly. As SpecterOhPossum SpecterOhPossum mentioned, there are lots of good reasons to feed multiple brands and "modes" of food if your cat can handle eating that way. In the six years we've had our current two cats, we've seen lots of their favorite foods disappear, temporarily or permanently due to things like recipe changes (either they didn't like the new version or I didn't approve of a new ingredient), the companies discontinuing the food, and production problems. That can get really annoying so having other foods to fall back on can really help.
Thanks for the input. Cheers...

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recommend Ziwi Peak Venison. I went through a lot with my cat. The first 3 months i had him he had diarrhea. Vets always told me to go with science hill perception diet but with no results. I decided to take matters into my own hands and found a brand called ziwi peak. Read up on it. They are expensive but for good reason. Fed him it and the next day perfect stool. No garbage in it. 98 percent meat.