Switching up dry foods

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i always have fresh water available. Be it their water bowl or my dogs bowl that they frequently drink out of, its always available. But even though NV is in the ideal ph range. It still seems rather high

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i always have fresh water available. Be it their water bowl or my dogs bowl that they frequently drink out of, its always available. But even though NV is in the ideal ph range. It still seems rather high

http://catinfo.org/#Cats_Need_Plenty_of_Water_With_Their_Food

"A cat's normal prey contains approximately 70 - 75 percent water.  Dry food only contains 5-10 percent water whereas canned foods contain  approximately 78 percent water.  Canned foods therefore more closely approximate the natural diet of the cat and are better suited to meet the cat’s water needs.

I hear the reader saying: "But my cat drinks a lot of water so dry food is just fine for him!" 

A cat consuming a predominantly dry food diet does drink more water than a cat consuming a canned food diet, but in the end, when water from all sources is added together (what’s in their diet plus what they drink), the cat on dry food consumes approximately half the amount of water compared with a cat eating canned food.

Put another way, a cat on a canned food diet consumes approximately double the amount of water consumed by a cat eating dry food when all sources (food and water bowl) are considered."

Please, please, please take the time to read Dr. Pierson's website (http://catinfo.org/).  It is very enlightening.

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats not what im saying at all. Red top rescue said that cats need pleny of water to help avoid crystals. I was saying that my cats get plenty of water but i am still worried about the high precentage of ash content in NV food

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats not what im saying at all. Red top rescue said that cats need pleny of water to help avoid crystals. I was saying that my cats get plenty of water but i am still worried about the high precentage of ash content in NV food

If you're concerned about urinary health, the target pH for the NV Instinct is in ideal range (6–6.5 pH).  I wouldn't be too concerned about the ash content.  More important is the protein, fat, and carb percentages.

The best way to prevent urinary issues is to increase water/moisture intake.  Please visit and read Dr. Pierson's website (http://catinfo.org/).

Since you are feeding wet food (at least once a day I assume?), you can add extra water to the food (use filtered water).

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, thats what i was looking for. I read that articlr a couple days ago. Someone had also pointed me to it. But it doesn't say anything about ash content unless i missed a paragraph.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason you can't just cut out the dry and feed only wet? Low cost wet food is in reality much better than low cost dry food and you wont need to worry about the possibility of triggering urinary issues. 4 health has grain free wet food that's very affordable, have you tried that one?