Switching to covered Litterbox

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever had just a regular litterbox, and switched to a covered one?
If so, was there any problem with them not wanting to go in it??
I'd really like to go buy one of those today, but I'm not sure if they'll know what to do with it.
We've just got some smelly poop in this kitty house, and I'm hoping that helps with the aroma that spreads a foot off of the ground all throughout that room.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one uncovered and one covered litter box for my two cats. My older cat, Charlotte, prefers the uncovered litter box. I adopted a second cat, Izzie, who doesn't seem to have a preference and will use either. Ironically, now Charlotte will urinate in the covered litter box but I think she is probably doing that to mark territory.

I think the covered box does lessen the spreading of the odor to other rooms but it's not 100%. Just remember that the box inside will have a much stronger odor and might discourage your cat from using it. Of course, it does depend if you cat covers it's feces or not. I do recommend having an uncovered litter box during the "attempted transition".

Oh and if I do smell kitty poo in the air, I use a mixture of white vinegar and water as an air freshener. I really does work!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since you have 2 cats you should have 2 or 3 litterboxes. So switch one and see what they do. Go by that. If you only have one, you should have more anyways so just add one and leave them both for a little while. If they favour the covered you are good to go on switching the other to a covered box.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had open pans. But moving I switched to a covered pan only cause I didn't want the dog to get into it (and she's trained NOT to go on the other side of the basement - where the pan is).

The cats were fine - I have a 15 yr old and 1 yr old, and no problems of them accepting the pan. They were curious about it but I kinda pushed them inside and they were fine after that.

As far as smelly poop, that might be something to check with your vet. Sometimes worms cause that or a poorer quality of food - what are you feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've always had open pans. But moving I switched to a covered pan only cause I didn't want the dog to get into it (and she's trained NOT to go on the other side of the basement - where the pan is).

The cats were fine - I have a 15 yr old and 1 yr old, and no problems of them accepting the pan. They were curious about it but I kinda pushed them inside and they were fine after that.

As far as smelly poop, that might be something to check with your vet. Sometimes worms cause that or a poorer quality of food - what are you feeding?
They have already been seen for the smelly poop problem. It's mostly just Mushi that has the smelly poop. And niether covers thier poop is the problem. They just let it go un-covered. Bleh.
They eat a mixture of Iams Hairball Care, and Eukenuba. It's what the vet sugested anyway. It has greatly lessened the original smell of the poop. But it's still pretty potent.
Thanks for all the help.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, so I went to the petstore and got me a covered litter box with a door thing!

Not to mention the petstore closed with me and my daughter inside, and didnt know it.
Lights off and everything.
But so I set up the litterbox, and first thing, Mushi goes and lays down in it.
This may take a while.

crys12065

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maybe try switching their food for the smelly poop. I feed my cats Nutro Natural Choice and Sebastian who has been on it since a kitten has never had diarrhea or gross smelly poop.

Its to early to tell with the kitten yet as I am experiencing some loose stool problems but I am thinking it was a sudden change in food and adding wet food which he was not getting at the breeders.

As for the covered litter box the only thing I would do is take off the swinging door so they do not feel so closed in. They should be fine.

Good luck!

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel my kitten Nutro Max foods and use Fresh Step scoopable litter. I have to say, I can't smell anything but the carbon from the litter when I scoop. I am surprised at how much I can't smell the box on the other side of the basement door.
Good luck with your transition.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havent heard of nutro max.
Where do I find that at?
Do you think they'd have it at the pet store?
As far as the switching to the covered litter box goes...

No problems..They use it the same as the other one.
But I dont know yet how it affects the smell. One day I'll get me one of those automatic litter boxes. But only AFTER I get my digital Camera.

ted n ellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lilleah,
I have 2 pieces of advice. I switched to a hooded litter tray, but as the 1st step, I removed the cat flap so they didn't have to walk through it. Then after a week or two of getting used to the hood I put the cat flap back in and they were happy to walk through it (after a test or 2).

As for the smelly poops, I switched my kittens onto Eaglepack holistic dry food and after a few days there poops don't smell anywhere near as bad!
Toni

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

I havent heard of nutro max.
Where do I find that at?
Do you think they'd have it at the pet store?
As far as the switching to the covered litter box goes...

No problems..They use it the same as the other one.
But I dont know yet how it affects the smell. One day I'll get me one of those automatic litter boxes. But only AFTER I get my digital Camera.
THey have it at Petsmart by me. Nutro has a Max and Choice line. The Max line is cheaper.