Switching to all wet food, cheap

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I currently have three cats. Male age 8, male age 4, and female kitten (7 weeks, a neighbor found her at about 2 weeks and I've been hand raising her since). I'm switching them to an all canned diet (well, aside from some higher quality dry in their puzzle toys), but I can only spend about $40 a month. I had been feeding the boys 9lives special care (I know) and friskies special diet (now discontinued, so we've been doing trader Joe's pates since July). The 8 year old had a bladder stone four years ago and this was what the vet recommended. I'm pretty sure the 4 year old is developing allergies (dirty ears that aren't ear mites and watery eyes), so I want to get him off the corn to see if that helps. I had a cat develop diabetes when I was 16, so I'm hoping lower carb might help decrease that risk.

I was looking at friskies and 9lives pates, and came across special kitty pates http://www.walmart.com/ip/19717198 which seem nutritionally about equivalent, but cheaper per ounce. I would supplement with higher quality pates as is affordable. I think I'm going to miss the relatively mild smell of trader Joe's, lol. Any feedback or other suggestions? Right now the kitten is still drinking formula and Iams kitten canned food, I'm not sure if I need to continue food labeled kitten? I don't plan on taking her off the milk for a while since she's pretty small and had hookworm, I have three big containers of it, so she'd have that as a supplement.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Special Kitty is fine to feed. I've heard that it's similar to Fancy Feast. I would feed the kitten mainly kitten food for the extra nutrients. Does Special Kitty have a kitten formula?