Switching Maine Coon Kittens Dry food Suggestions?

samantha hosch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a 4 month old Maine coon male kitten, I bought from a breeder about 2 1/2 months ago. 

I feed him dry food during the day ( Purina Kitten) and one can of fancy feast Kitten Formula in the evening. I am looking to switch his dry food to a better quality. He seem to have a much more sensitive stomach then the domestic long hair I had before him. He tend to runny stools just recently . He is vet checked and fine. I will have other tests done if a better food doesn't help.  I have a feeling he got into my brothers cat cheap food yesterday. 

All his breeder said was to keep him on Kitten food for the first year. 

What dry foods to you suggest for a kitten with a sensitive/ picky stomach ?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I would suggest using the canned food as the main diet and dry only for snacks.  I had one kitten with a sensitive stomach who had been raised on kitten chow and he would only eat wet food if the dry food wasn't around for awhile.  Eventually he was switched to the  plain Purina One Chicken & Turkey dry food because he rejected all of the other ones offered (I guess that tastes a lot like Kitten Chow).  He still prefers dry food to wet in general but he can be lured with sone Fancy Feast too.  I do think you will have to transition your guy in stages and see how each new food agrees with him.  I would suggest trying the Purine One because it worked for my kitten, but there is no scientific basis for it other than the same maker and a similar flavor.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really cute kitten! I assume that's your new one in your profile picture. I had a Maine Coon for 19 years. What I remember for her is that she didn't really chew the dry food (this was back in the day when vets thought dry food was better for their teeth). And so she had some digestive issues because of snarfing the food like a vacuum. She loved her canned food though. Her name was Hazel, but her full name was Hazel Suppertime.  That was so long ago that I'm not sure the brand I fed her is the same. With my present day group, I feed them a variety of canned and then they have Wellness dry for snack available sometimes in the evening before I go bed.

You might ask your vet to see if he/she would recommend  a couple of packets of Forti Flora that works like yogurt does for humans and gets the good bacteria balanced in the gut. Helps with the loose stool. I have used this for kitties after a round of medication like antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha hosch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, That is the kitten. Tho that picture is what he looked like a couple months ago. I will add a more resent one. His name Is Mr. Alistair. He actually does have a stomach bug I took him in to a emergency vet yesterday cause he started have issues with showing his 3rd eye lid but other wise fine. He got a shot, glads cleaned, and on meds for a week or so..   Then should be fine. I asked that vet ( not his regular )  what food he suggested He said purina pro heath. and not to get sucked into the grain free marketing..  He did suggest changing his food.   He regular vet promotes Royal Canin. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to comment on what a cutie Mr. Alistair is [emoji]128571[/emoji]!!
I'm originally from Maine and we Mainers are very proud of our Maine Coons....they truly have the most wonderful dispositions and the fluff...who doesn't love that glorious fluff??

I hope this finds Mr. Alistair feeling better!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
All 3 of my Maine Coon mixes have/had food allergies.

Lucky (my rainbow bridge baby) developed a severe gluten/grain intolerance at the age of 13 after being fed Purina Cat Chow/Purina Naturals his whole life. He was also very intolerant of Pork and Carrageenan/Agar-Agar.

Max (soon to be 5) is allergic to both Beef and Rabbit and has problems with IBD/Pancreatitis (first episode was just before 18 months.) I avoid Carrageenan and Agar-Agar as much as possible for him.

Simba (soon to be 4) is HIGHLY allergic to chicken. He eats most turkey and duck.

I feed Nature's Variety Instinct and Pride dry to my cats, along with an assortment of canned foods.

I stick to feeding a high protein, low carb diet. I do 100% avoid corn, wheat and soy, but am ok with some rice in my cats' diet when the food meets the high protein/low carb requirements I have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha hosch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to comment on what a cutie Mr. Alistair is [emoji]128571[/emoji]!!
I'm originally from Maine and we Mainers are very proud of our Maine Coons....they truly have the most wonderful dispositions and the fluff...who doesn't love that glorious fluff??

I hope this finds Mr. Alistair feeling better!
He Is Feeling much better.. I love the fluff. I hope he gets fluffier. I switched him to Royal Canin Kitten foluma