Switching litter brands

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So for the past two years we have been using Special Kitty clumping litter and we just recently bought Arm & Hammer multi-cat clumping litter.

I just want to know if we should add the Arm & Hammer over the Special Kitty litter and intergrate it together, or completely empty the rest of the old litter and fill the pans with the new one?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The safest bet is to mix the two together, slowly adding in more A&H. You never know if your kitties will accept a change in litter readily, and you don't want to cause LB issues by abruptly changing litter.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never mix the two, I just empty one litter box and use the new litter in it while keeping the other boxes with the old litter while I evaluate their usage. Then if they like it and use it I'll switch the others.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TashaaM

So for the past two years we have been using Special Kitty clumping litter and we just recently bought Arm & Hammer multi-cat clumping litter.

I just want to know if we should add the Arm & Hammer over the Special Kitty litter and intergrate it together, or completely empty the rest of the old litter and fill the pans with the new one?
Originally Posted by Melesine

I never mix the two, I just empty one litter box and use the new litter in it while keeping the other boxes with the old litter while I evaluate their usage. Then if they like it and use it I'll switch the others.
As Melesine said I would recommend filling one of your litter boxes (that assumes you have more then one) with the new litter. While keeping the same/old litter in the other litter boxes.

Then see over a four week period (this assumes you change the boxes completely on a weekly basis and have four boxes) change one box per week. Then during the next week access how much they are using the new litter brand vs the old litter brand.

Lastly and I am sure this goes without saying but I am
, do not change the location of the litter boxes while changing litter types/brands.

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I say if your kitties haven't had litterbox issues before, you may not need a four week transition period. But maybe better safe than sorry. We usually use Arm and Hammer Double Duty, but sometimes if we're at Nana and Poppa's house we use whatever they have, and they use all different types without issue. I guess they just know the litterbox is the litterbox!

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think switching from one clay clumping litter to another, you are pretty safe to just fill one of the boxes and proceed as normal. We are trying out the Worlds Best Cat Litter brand and I had to mix it. My poor cats didn't know whether to eat it or poop on it.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrumbAndHarvey

I say if your kitties haven't had litterbox issues before, you may not need a four week transition period. But maybe better safe than sorry. We usually use Arm and Hammer Double Duty, but sometimes if we're at Nana and Poppa's house we use whatever they have, and they use all different types without issue. I guess they just know the litterbox is the litterbox!
I am VERY PARANOID about litter box ISSUES. So I will admit that first and foremost. But I have seen many cats given away for litter box issues. So I feel it is better safe then sorry. But again the information I expressed was just my opinion. So please do whatever you feel is best for you and your cats.

Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

I think switching from one clay clumping litter to another, you are pretty safe to just fill one of the boxes and proceed as normal. We are trying out the Worlds Best Cat Litter brand and I had to mix it. My poor cats didn't know whether to eat it or poop on it.
Do your cats like Worlds Best Cat Litter? I just have to say your last sentence made me
for real.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

My cats did not like worlds best at all. They used the box once each and never went back to that box. Well at least until I switched it back.