Switching Kittens To Adult Food?

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

I am just curious when everyone generally starts switching their kittens to adult food?
My Callie and Theo are 8 months old now and I have read many different things.
The vet says they recommend waiting till they are 1 year. I've read online that some people start switching around 9 months.

Just looking for some input.

Thank you :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I switch when they stop growing if I am going from kitten to adult food. Growing in terms of height and length not weight. However, the last two cats I've switched to an all stages food when they hit about 9 months and have stayed with that. All stages foods meet the basic requirements of kittens while still being within acceptable ranges for adults as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was looking to go to the Taste of the Wild food brand. I’ve read some really great reviews of the food and I have family members that have good experiences with the brand, I don’t think it’s an all stages food though.
Is there a certain brand of foods you would recommend? I’ve read so many reviews of all kinds of different foods.

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also been reading about Acana cat food and it’s got great reviews.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both of those are all stages cats. Either one is a good choice. I want to say that Acana has less carbs and might be a better option. But read the ingredients and make a choice based on what you see there. Named meats and fewer fillers is what you are looking for. I am not fond of pea protein specifically listed because it artificially inflates the protein of the food.

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help! :)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Good question! Pet food makers mention activity level in feeding directions on the kitten and all life stages food labels.

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 5-6 month old kitten is eating adult food now - mostly because we have two adult cats and he absolutely refused to eat his (very expensive, high quality) kitten food in favor of their adult cat food. Not ideal but it was getting too difficult to keep him out of their food and he didn’t seem interested in any flavor or brand of kitten food we tried, except for the Royal Canin wet kitten food which we just couldn’t keep affording to feed him right now

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Noodles, can you buy food that is labeled "for all life stages" or cats and kittens? I don't know if any of those are cheap, but it would solve your problem.

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Noodles, can you buy food that is labeled "for all life stages" or cats and kittens? I don't know if any of those are cheap, but it would solve your problem.
Yes, we’re looking into switching their food anyways soon to a better brand and that’s one of the things I’ll be looking for!