Switching Jobs Tips

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been trying to find a new job recently. I am trying to find something closer to home. The job I have right now, is my first job. I feel guilty not letting the people i work with know that I'm looking for a new job. How is this sort of thing handled? Will I be asked in an interview if my current job knows I'm leaving?

I can't afford to lose this job until another job is certain. Any advice would be appreciated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never ever tell your current employer including co-workers that you are looking for a new job. They may make the job hell for you and you could even lose the job. Keep a job search a secret. Do you job searching on your personal phone or computer, not on company phone or computers because your activity can be tracked. Do job searching outside of work hours when possible.It's ok to take a call while at work. Just leave the room and go somewhere kind of private, like the restroom or outside the building. I like emergency stairwells since no one ever takes the stairs.

Interviewers will assume that your current employer is unaware of your job search. Some may still ask so you just say no, no one is aware that you are looking for a new job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never ever tell your current employer including co-workers that you are looking for a new job. They may make the job hell for you and you could even lose the job. Keep a job search a secret. Do you job searching on your personal phone or computer, not on company phone or computers because your activity can be tracked. Do job searching outside of work hours when possible.It's ok to take a call while at work. Just leave the room and go somewhere kind of private, like the restroom or outside the building. I like emergency stairwells since no one ever takes the stairs.

Interviewers will assume that your current employer is unaware of your job search. Some may still ask so you just say no, no one is aware that you are looking for a new job.
Thank you for the advice! it makes me feel a lot better. =)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just remember to give two weeks notice once you find a new job. If you forget that step you could burn your bridges at that company or even others if you work in a small industry. The industry I work in is extremely small and every one knows everyone. So if you don't give a two week notice every other company will know and you could end your chances with all of them. Even in larger areas, you don't know who will know who. Leaving suddenly and without notice could lead to a story over drinks about how this person left them high and dry. While not technically legal trying to prove those types of conversations happened is hard.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that it’s often not wise to let your current employer and colleagues know you’re looking for another opportunity. I’ve had bosses that I know would have fired me had they known, but that means they weren’t good leaders.

I’ve also worked for outstanding leaders who wanted me to grow and succeed in my profession. I told them I was looking because I knew they wanted the best for me and would provide guidance in my search and a strong reference. I also had such respect for them that I wanted them to know I was looking so they could be thinking about the organization, the team and next steps in preparation for my leaving. I knew they weren’t going to retaliate. I learned a lot from them and tried to emulate them when I had a staff of my own.

There have been a few highly trusted co-workers who knew I was looking, but only a very few.

Kieka Kieka has given you wise advice about giving two weeks’ notice. It’s the professional thing to do. In my profession at the highest levels, a minimum of a month was expected!

Good luck with your search!

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every company is going to be different. I've worked for one that let me go as soon as I gave them two weeks notice, but oddly enough after almost 20 years I still go and visit them and the boss who let me go. Another one I gave 6 months notice because I hates the commute in winter. It became a running gag with me and that boss, but he understood and worked with me. Most have.

It all depends on the company and your boss. Still, two weeks notice is a safe bet either way.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only gave a week's notice at the last job but I had no choice. It was either leave and take the severance or be fired by the bully :censored: supervisor for :censored: reasons.

Two weeks is standard for most jobs but depending on the industry, to may need to give more notice.

Don't use current co-workers as references unless you are absolutely sure that they will not say anything about your job search to anyone.

Just remember to give two weeks notice once you find a new job. If you forget that step you could burn your bridges at that company or even others if you work in a small industry. The industry I work in is extremely small and every one knows everyone.
Same here. I know I've already been blacklisted by that :censored: supervisor in every single specialized facility in the industry. I'm still in the industry but returned to a job similar to how I got my start in the industry. I still worry about my current employer or the consultant hearing the lies and BS about me from people at my previous job when they go to industry conferences and such :paranoid: People talk and some enjoy spreading gossip and lies around or they think they're doing others a favor by warning them to not hire so-and-so for reasons that may be completely untrue. Add a couple of drinks and who knows what would be said.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! This is all new to me, and I learn more and more every day. There are people I feel i can trust at my job, but at the same time, I have noticed that people tend to look our for themselves the most. So i am being careful.

I have been looking, and haven't had much luck with finding work.

I am currently working a city job, and was hoping to continue working for the government.

It's been stressing me out that I haven't been able to find anything. I currently drive 2-3 hours every weekday. Miami traffic is pretty terrifying.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You might check out local universities or colleges. I don’t know what you do, of course, but there are such a wide range of jobs in higher ed and the benefits are typically very good. You might find something similar.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might check out local universities or colleges. I don’t know what you do, of course, but there are such a wide range of jobs in higher ed and the benefits are typically very good. You might find something similar.
i will try that, thank you!=)