Switching from dry to canned: the epic Battle of Wills between well-intentioned human and royally PO

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My kibble girl finally flipped 100 percent to Wet with pride by instinct rock star rabbit and nutro natural choice chunky chicken loaf. Both are carageen free!

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shoot I was just at Petco yesterday and I saw the Soulistic and had no idea Weruva made it. So thank you for that info. Funny thing is Petco carried that but not the Weruva. I bought the Merricks since they didn't have Weruva. 2 of the 3 cats devoured the can I opened last night but now the can I opened this morning all 3 won't touch this morning despite the ground kibble trick GoHolistic suggested. Will keep trying

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Shoot I was just at Petco yesterday and I saw the Soulistic and had no idea Weruva made it. So thank you for that info. Funny thing is Petco carried that but not the Weruva. I bought the Merricks since they didn't have Weruva. 2 of the 3 cats devoured the can I opened last night but now the can I opened this morning all 3 won't touch this morning despite the ground kibble trick GoHolistic suggested. Will keep trying
I find several they like and alternate daily for one week. Example merrick duck pate, nutro natural choice chunky chicken or turkey loaf, pride by instinct rockstar rabbit, weruva Peking Ducken, nutro natural choice minced chicken,soulistic good karma or harvest sunrise, merrick chicken pate! Not only do I change brands and meats but also textures to keep things interesting. Only merrick has carageen in that list but they like it. Mine like anything with wings duck, chicken, turkey, pheasant and rabbit is their all time favorite. They like pate, shreds, minced and small chunks with gravy. No beef, fish, or grains, dry food ,and best of all no vomiting! Hooray![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

Last edited:

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back to the op-yes scheduled meals and being stubborn are what you need to be. But you also need to find a food your cat likes. For the initial switch you need a food they adore like the Weruva pouches.  Then once they got their schedule down with that wet feel texture feel free to switch it up. There are many wet textures to get used to=pate, chunk, mince and shredded.

Whitney gets 3 meals now of all sorts of textures. I just can't get it to two yet. Morning, dinner and bedtime. Her weight is perfect according to the vet.

My cat gets re-addicted to dry every time I give her any-such as if I go on trips. It is not fun. Wets and raw she HATES and would rather starve herself-NV raw,NV canned turkey and chicken, All blue Buffallo. Wets that help make the transition=pouch Weruva and pouch Wellness, canned wellness-chunks, and NV Pork, All lotus, Halo and NB LID venison.

Remove ALL dry, Find the tasty food. Put out the tasty food for 30 min and NOTHING else. Remove leftovers to fridge after time is up and re=serve later. Kitty will get the idea. Sometimes hand feeding works to start.

I get my Weruva at a family run chain in LA http://www.centinelafeed.com/products/cats/cat-food-cat-treats/

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What commercial raw foods to you feed them  and how do you feed it to them? Also have you found canned foods that are especially smelly?
For commercial raw foods they get mostly Primal (turkey, chicken/salmon, beef/salmon, all freeze-dried), a little Stella & Chewy's (poultry flavors, usually freeze-dried), and some Rad Cat (usually turkey, sometimes chicken, only sold frozen). They get about 1.25 nuggets each of Primal twice a day, morning and evening. If it's Stella & Chewy's, it's about the same amount. If it's Rad Cat, it's about 2 tablespoons each, as a treat. I'm planning to increase their Rad Cat a little now that I've realized one of our stores sells it much cheaper than the another. They love it.

As for smelly foods, well, Wellness Core foods are smellier than most, though the downside with those is carrageenan; they only get those about once a week but they love them. I only feed them the lower-carb flavors: turkey/duck, beef/lamb/venison, and kitten. They're not kittens but I give them that food every now and then because they love it and a lot of their other foods are low-calorie so the high calories are okay. It's probably the smelliest of their foods: it has a little herring.

The cats also love Nutro Natural Choice: I feed them minced chicken, sliced turkey, and chunky chicken loaf, all of which are carrageenan-free. Those have distinctive odors that seem to fill the kitchen! The cats like Tiki Cat chicken recipes, which have more subtle but still distinctive odors, too. Like @Slykat12, I mix up their textures and flavors with lots of different kinds of food. These cats get bored very easily.

There are lots of fish-based foods that are super-smelly. Someone mentioned BFF... those are smelly, as are some of Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen foods with fish. Our previous cat happily ate some of those when she was very sick. One of our current cats doesn't seem to do well with tuna, though, so I don't feed it to them.

One other thought that goes back to the Nature's Variety Instinct: last week the cats got tired of their NVI duck so I added some water and a few balls of Stella & Chewy's (Duck, Duck, Goose, I think) to each dish. And they lapped it right up. I'd never done that before but may use that trick again.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I find several they like and alternate daily for one week. Example merrick duck pate, nutro natural choice chunky chicken or turkey loaf, pride by instinct rockstar rabbit, weruva Peking Ducken, nutro natural choice minced chicken,soulistic good karma or harvest sunrise, merrick chicken pate! Not only do I change brands and meats but also textures to keep things interesting. Only merrick has carageen in that list but they like it. Mine like anything with wings duck, chicken, turkey, pheasant and rabbit is their all time favorite. They like pate, shreds, minced and small chunks with gravy. No beef, fish, or grains, dry food ,and best of all no vomiting! Hooray![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]
Which merrick flavor did they like and which didn't they like? Mine only like duck and chicken pate?

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

What commercial raw foods to you feed them  and how do you feed it to them? Also have you found canned foods that are especially smelly?
For commercial raw foods they get mostly Primal (turkey, chicken/salmon, beef/salmon, all freeze-dried), a little Stella & Chewy's (poultry flavors, usually freeze-dried), and some Rad Cat (usually turkey, sometimes chicken, only sold frozen). They get about 1.25 nuggets each of Primal twice a day, morning and evening. If it's Stella & Chewy's, it's about the same amount. If it's Rad Cat, it's about 2 tablespoons each, as a treat. I'm planning to increase their Rad Cat a little now that I've realized one of our stores sells it much cheaper than the another. They love it.

As for smelly foods, well, Wellness Core foods are smellier than most, though the downside with those is carrageenan; they only get those about once a week but they love them. I only feed them the lower-carb flavors: turkey/duck, beef/lamb/venison, and kitten. They're not kittens but I give them that food every now and then because they love it and a lot of their other foods are low-calorie so the high calories are okay. It's probably the smelliest of their foods: it has a little herring.

The cats also love Nutro Natural Choice: I feed them minced chicken, sliced turkey, and chunky chicken loaf, all of which are carrageenan-free. Those have distinctive odors that seem to fill the kitchen! The cats like Tiki Cat chicken recipes, which have more subtle but still distinctive odors, too. Like @Slykat12, I mix up their textures and flavors with lots of different kinds of food. These cats get bored very easily.

There are lots of fish-based foods that are super-smelly. Someone mentioned BFF... those are smelly, as are some of Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen foods with fish. Our previous cat happily ate some of those when she was very sick. One of our current cats doesn't seem to do well with tuna, though, so I don't feed it to them.

One other thought that goes back to the Nature's Variety Instinct: last week the cats got tired of their NVI duck so I added some water and a few balls of Stella & Chewy's (Duck, Duck, Goose, I think) to each dish. And they lapped it right up. I'd never done that before but may use that trick again.
Thank you for all the suggestions. I wrote them all down for next time I go to the pet store. Also I think we have 1 store in the area that sells the freeze dried and the rad cat as well as the weruva  so I will be going there soon. Thank you again.

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This has turned out to be a very helpful thread. Thank you for all the suggestions. I bought the  Iams  today as suggested and TrInity walked away initially but now I notice the bowl is empty Not sure if she is the one who actually ate it or not. Thats the problem with having 3 cats and a dog. It is hard to monitor their food. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for all the suggestions. I wrote them all down for next time I go to the pet store. Also I think we have 1 store in the area that sells the freeze dried and the rad cat as well as the weruva  so I will be going there soon. Thank you again.
Good luck! I hope something works for you. The freeze-dried foods, by the way, don't have much odor, at least for me.

khayr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the freeze dried bonito (tuna) flakes as a topper for food and those have worked really well for me... they're super stinky and since my cat loves tuna anyway they work as an extra incentive to try the food. (: We went from free-fed kibble to just raw/some canned in about three weeks or so. The transition guides definitely were very helpful.

My cat also likes the PRIDE line by Nature's Variety... he seems to prefer the minced kind, but the flaked also goes over well if I mush it a little with a fork first. Rabbit and tuna are especially popular with my guy.

Good luck! Hopefully you can find something Trinity really enjoys!