Switching food for urinary reasons

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metacam is given for cats with UTI's as it reduces the inflammation in the bladder - I have used Metacam with many senior cats and they have all been fine (and blood tests proved it), all drugs have side effects, but not all cats will go on to develop them. My vet doesnt' prescribe prescription food for urinary issues, just wet food only, less stress and we have something called Cystaid over here, which again helps the lining of the bladder - works wonders.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missourigrl

Where do I get Carpon? I just read a thread about that on here.
They asked if I wanted him to have the shot or give him oral meds. I said to go ahead and give the shot. Below is a link to Convenia.
http://www.convenia.com/
I posted it on this thread earlier, it is the seventh post. the link is there.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missourigrl

My boyfriend is a bit skeptical about the Purina UR. He doesn't see how it's any different from the Cat Chow we've been feeding our kitties and he thinks it's too expensive. He read online that most commercially availble cat foods make the urine acidic enough. I told him it was either pay more for this food or pay for a vet bill every time Jack has a flare up. But he did make me wonder how/what makes it better? I realize it's supposed to prevent oxalates/struvites but how do I know if it does?
It is different from Cat Chow. Cat Chow does not have anything in it to acidify the urine to make it the right pH. If it were me, I would go with the vet prescription food, and then look around for other options if you need a more affordable food. Ask your vet about Pro Plan Urinary Health and Purina One Urinary Health. Those are the only 2 I know of that are certified and can be bought at a regular store. Pro Plan also has a canned version.

Yahoo groups has an FLUTD group that was very helpful for me. When Raven
was alive, he had lots of different bladder issues. Eventually he was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis and got managed by switching to a mostly wet diet, I used Feliway diffusers, and Cosequin for him. We used quite a few different foods over his life, including prescription foods and over the counter foods. It depended on what everyone needed at that stage.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Covenia is a long-term antibiotic. The cat's body stores up the medication in its muscles and gradually releases it over a 2 week period. So instead of having to give a pill twice a day (or a pill treat or whatever), they get the one shot and it lasts for about 2-3 weeks.

Hannah had a Covenia injection about a month ago for her herpes flare up. For the entire first week after the shot, she was sooooooooo groggy. She ate and pottied, but she slept ALL day long. Very uncharacteristic for her. She quit sneezing though, which was good. The second week, she gradually came out of the drug haze and was back to her normal self. The only drawback is the drug haze for the kitty (in my opinion). You also need to remember to watch your cat carefully near the end of the 2nd week and into the 3rd week for any signs s/he's still got an infection.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jack(not the same as the OP's Jack) also has the tendency to develop a UTI... I was alerted to his levels being off some time back, so I researched the food options. I do a mix of two dry foods, both high quality (read: expensive, but worth it). At one point a few months back, I hadn't gotten to the grocery store here that actually carries the UR food I use... so I mixed two other decent foods... yeah. Shouldn't have done that.

Jack was 'leaking' bloody urine and was having difficulty peeing. Off to the vet. NO actual crystals (they were a bit stumped) but his pH levels were even worse... so we had a similar situation as you... a scrip for Clavamox, and four oral doses of liquid Buprenorphine for the pain... I only managed two, as anything further attempts would have cost ME a visit to the ER.

With the Clavamox and such, along with an immediate trip to get the good food, He cleared up and we've had no re-occurrences... they both eat their dry food just fine... and no problems...

I chose to go with Wysong Uretic. It works in this house and I doubt I'll ever switch, even to another Uretic, unless they go out of business or stop making this formula, which I doubt will happen. It's in small pieces which is good for Jack, since he's nearly toof-less (nothing behind the fangs). If it keeps him healthy, I'm happy...

I mix it with usually a Wellness general formula or another similar brand. They like it all.

Good luck. And believe me, the good food is worth it, IMHO.

Amanda