Switching Dry Foods

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After careful consideration, and some budget crunching, I think I've decided to switch dry foods.

I've just been reading anything I can on the subject, here, and elsewhere, and while it seems as though "premium" foods are more expensive, I should expect to go through it more slowly than I do now.

I do have 3 cats. This is a problem. But after lots of reading (weeks and weeks), I think once my Purina Indoor Formula is gone, I'm going to move to Blue.

It's about 4x as expensive, but I'm HOPING a 12lb bag will last a month. So I can easily afford $35 a month on cat food for three cats. It's well worth it.

Ok, so I've still got a good bit left -- a full 16lb bag, and half of another. So it's going to be a while. But, start with 25% Blue, 75% everything else, and go from there? The boys seem to be ok, but Rosalita has a sensitive belly.

And, I don't know, I guess I just wanted someone to chime in and say "SWITCHING TO BLUE WILL BE GREAT, THAT IS A GREAT IDEA." I don't know. I don't know why this whole thing is making me so nervous. I just want the BEST possible, and it seems like Blue, with it's first three ingredients being meat, is the winner. I'm also hoping Domino can lose a few pounds, but that's besides the point.

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Switching to blue will be great, that is a great idea.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only suggestion is make sure the store will accept a return with either a refund or credit, just in case kitties turn their little noses up. Happened to me...Petsmart in my area was great about just giving my money back on a partially used bag.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And yes- slow transition. Over the course of two or three weeks and you still may see some digestive upset... depends on the cat.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just switched to Blue Buff Wilderness and I am very happy with it, Tessie also loves it! Switching sounds like a good idea to me

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like Blue, and my big male kitty is on the Wilderness, mixed with the spa select. I rotate between dry foods and mix things up so that no one becomes super picky. I usually buy Blue or Wellness. The only thing with Blue is the lifesource bits. Some cats don't like them, but they are the vitamins part of the food. I just don't refill till everything is gone and he has learned to eat all his food.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kattiekitty

I really like Blue, and my big male kitty is on the Wilderness, mixed with the spa select. I rotate between dry foods and mix things up so that no one becomes super picky. I usually buy Blue or Wellness. The only thing with Blue is the lifesource bits. Some cats don't like them, but they are the vitamins part of the food. I just don't refill till everything is gone and he has learned to eat all his food.
Dry food goes rancid and stale after sitting for a few hours. Especially the higher quality foods that do not contain a lot of, if any, preservatives.

And every time a cat nibbles, s/he leaves more bacteria on the remaining food. Ick.

It seems a bit hard to force a cat to eat something that may not be very fresh.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Dry food goes rancid and stale after sitting for a few hours. Especially the higher quality foods that do not contain a lot of, if any, preservatives.

And every time a cat nibbles, s/he leaves more bacteria on the remaining food. Ick.

It seems a bit hard to force a cat to eat something that may not be very fresh.
Yeah I attempt to only put 12 hours worth in the bowl at a time ...