switching cat food

jammybiccy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey hope someone can give me some advice. IM gettin a kitten in a few weeks who will be 8 weeks old. The owner has informed me that she feeds all her kittens adult cat food. All of her cats look healthy but are very small. I would like to give my kitten the best possible start and grow up nice and healthy. How do i go about switchin him over to kitten food when i get him? Many thanks :)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. Do you know what food the cat currently eats? If it is dry food, I would think you would want to mix the two foods and keep increasing the kitten food until the kitten is only eating that. If the kitten is eating wet food, I am not sure. We have a lot of folks here who have experience and I am sure some of them will be along with some better answers for you. In the meantime, why don't you read through some of the threads here and on the Nutrition Forum. Type in Switching Cat Food in the search box at the top of the page and you will get some information other members have posted in previous threads. Good luck with your new kitten.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF it is wet food, you can continue, even perhaps shall continue.  Wet food is typically better than dry food, so it may even happen this adult wet is enough for kittens....  They do look healthy as you say.

If it it not wet food, consider strongly to learn the kitten to eat wet food (too).

As said above, dont switch too hastily, blend them in the beginning, and make the change in a week.

Some cats do manage to switch just  so,  but others do need this time of slow change.

Read on, and continue to ask (and report with time).

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!