switching brands without mixing....

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was using Purina sensitive stomach as recommend by my vet however last few trips to the store they don't have it anymore. Ended up getting Blue Buffalo sensitive and a Purina Indoor (a small bag), not sure if mixing those two will help fend off any diarrhea or if I'm better off just using the Blue Buffalo.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mixing will help your cats tummy adjust to the new food. I would take whatever you have left of the old food and replace whatever you feed with the new food. For example, if you feed 1/4 cup then feed the 1/4 cup of old food, then add 1/4 cup of the new food in with the old food. Mix well and repeat every time you feed. Over several days the mix will become more and more the new food until it is all new food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mixing will help your cats tummy adjust to the new food. I would take whatever you have left of the old food and replace whatever you feed with the new food. For example, if you feed 1/4 cup then feed the 1/4 cup of old food, then add 1/4 cup of the new food in with the old food. Mix well and repeat every time you feed. Over several days the mix will become more and more the new food until it is all new food.
I have no old food left at all, its all gone, thats why I picked up the indoor formula of the same brand but I'm not sure if will work out like I wanted.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can do what I call a naked transition. You'll underfeed for a few days as if you were mixing with the old food even though you have no old food. So first day would be quarter portions. Next day would be half portions. By the end of the week, you should be up to full portions. That's assuming this food agrees with your cat(s). A good probiotic (check your local pet food store) could help ease this transition.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Was using Purina sensitive stomach as recommend by my vet however last few trips to the store they don't have it anymore. Ended up getting Blue Buffalo sensitive and a Purina Indoor (a small bag), not sure if mixing those two will help fend off any diarrhea or if I'm better off just using the Blue Buffalo.
I agree,start with slowly mixing. You might find that the bb doesn't work. I tried a different food on my cat because of her throw up problem. Made it worse so I switched her back

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree,start with slowly mixing. You might find that the bb doesn't work. I tried a different food on my cat because of her throw up problem. Made it worse so I switched her back
Both my cats seem to like it at the moment even my picky eater, but again I have no old food to mix it with, I'm out and both stores don't have it.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can do what I call a naked transition. You'll underfeed for a few days as if you were mixing with the old food even though you have no old food. So first day would be quarter portions. Next day would be half portions. By the end of the week, you should be up to full portions. That's assuming this food agrees with your cat(s). A good probiotic (check your local pet food store) could help ease this transition.
My fat cat wouldn't allow this to happen HAHA but thanks for the idea

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to Blue Buffalo weight reduction from Purina and had no problem. I would just start out with a tiny amount and see how they do for a few hours. if no throwing up, give a little more.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched to Blue Buffalo weight reduction from Purina and had no problem. I would just start out with a tiny amount and see how they do for a few hours. if no throwing up, give a little more.
they have been eatting off it since shortly after my post and they keep going back for more, might regret that in the middle of the night but so far so good (knock on wood, pinch of salt)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, tiny amount.nthats all it took to realize it wasn't working. I like giving different proteins but only one works. It could also be other ingredients besides meat