switching brands: Innova EVO

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are on Evo and doing better then they ever have. About the tarter build up.... Before switching to mostly Evo, my cats were on pretty much all dry and still had some tarter build up. Peaches had quite a bit, actually. So I'm not convinced dry food is all that when it comes to tarter. I still feed some dry. But mostly they get the can Evo. You can get Evo dry too, which I imagine is what you originally were thinking of.

sunspot42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

So I'm not convinced dry food is all that when it comes to tarter.
Have there been any independent studies done to see if dry food really does clean a cat's teeth?

I think it's kind of a silly idea, personally. I mean, dentists don't recommend you sit around all day eating rock candy and peppermint sticks to clean your teeth, and both are a lot harder than any dry pet foods. Most "dry" foods are carbohydrate based, and turn to mush in your pet's mouth. You'd think mushy carbs would promote tooth decay, not prevent it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunspot42

Have there been any independent studies done to see if dry food really does clean a cat's teeth?

I think it's kind of a silly idea, personally. I mean, dentists don't recommend you sit around all day eating rock candy and peppermint sticks to clean your teeth, and both are a lot harder than any dry pet foods. Most "dry" foods are carbohydrate based, and turn to mush in your pet's mouth. You'd think mushy carbs would promote tooth decay, not prevent it.
There are a number of them
just do a google about canned or raw diet s

Beandip was right about the ash and mineral issues of no grains ... REMEMBER with NO grains we are the guiena pigs since NONE that I know of have evan gone thru the cursory tests AFFCO put s out for feeding tests ... I am mixing a no grain with a one grain to hopefully avoid the UTI issues