Swimmers Syndrome

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Is anyone here familiar with Swimmers Syndrome in cats? I was informed today that the baby I'm getting in January went for his shots today and he has swimmers syndrome, which the vet said is caused by him being so large and growing so fast and his back legs aren't keeping up with the growth. The vet told the breeder that he should outgrow it within the next month, other than that he's doing great! He does walk and run and play just fine but he will rest his legs after awhile, quite honestly I noticed he was laying a lot on the videos that were sent to me when he started moving but didn't think much of it. The breeder is very reputable and I know she wouldn't lie to me or not tell the truth that he will outgrow it and be fine, but when I told my vet about it, she immediately said DON'T GET HIM! I'm a little worried as I don't want him to have any issues as he grows or when he's an adult, but I already love him so much and am so excited to get him, I'm just not sure what to think. Any help would be appreciated!

I tried to post a video but it won't let me, are you able to post videos on here?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I read, Swimmer Syndrome is congenital (kittens and puppies are born with it) but it is treatable if addressed as soon as it is noticed.

Treatment involves binding the hind legs together with bandages so that, as the kitten or puppy grows, the legs will also grow into the right position. There are physical exercises that can also be done, such as "bicycling" the legs. If done early and conscientiously, all but the worst cases can live a normal life.

Basically, this means that your breeder should be doing it, now. They need to be bandaging the kitten's legs and doing the exercises to help the kitten grow out of it, BEFORE the kitten comes to you. If THEY do it NOW, chances are that the kitten will be normal but, if they don't, there is a high likelihood that the kitten will have problems standing and walking for the rest of its life.

If the breeder is already doing what they need to be, the kitten will probably be normal but, the longer they delay, the worse the prognosis will likely be.

If I were you, I'd talk to the breeder to find out what, if anything, they've been doing.

If they HAVE been treating the kitten, I'd say it'll probably be okay.

If they start treating the kitten, NOW, my advice would be, "Wait and see."
If the treatment works, okay, but, if not, I say, "Pass!"

If they are not treating the kitten or if they give you vague answers, pass.

It only takes a few weeks or, at most, a month or two to treat a kitten with Swimmer's Syndrome and it is CRITICAL that treatment is started ASAP. The longer this goes untreated, the worse-off the kitten will be and, if it's severe enough that the grown cat can't stand, walk, eat and clean itself, normally, the best course of action might be euthanasia. (Determined on a case-by-case basis, of course.)

Bottom line: If the breeder is doing what they need to be and are treating the kitten, all should be well. If they are not or if they are giving you the run-around, get another kitten from some place else.

If you do end up going some place else, please consider getting a shelter kitty. There are too many perfectly healthy cats and kittens, living in shelters who need good homes. Why buy from a breeder that's only adding to the potential problem when there are already plenty of cats and kittens just waiting for you to take them home, right now? It'll probably be a damn-sight cheaper, too!

Our cat, Casper, is a rescue kitty and he turned out to be the BEST, most loving and well behaved cat I have EVER had! :)

Read more about Swimmers Syndrome here: https://onlinepethealth.com/swimmers-syndrome/

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I read, Swimmer Syndrome is congenital (kittens and puppies are born with it) but it is treatable if addressed as soon as it is noticed.

Treatment involves binding the hind legs together with bandages so that, as the kitten or puppy grows, the legs will also grow into the right position. There are physical exercises that can also be done, such as "bicycling" the legs. If done early and conscientiously, all but the worst cases can live a normal life.

Basically, this means that your breeder should be doing it, now. They need to be bandaging the kitten's legs and doing the exercises to help the kitten grow out of it, BEFORE the kitten comes to you. If THEY do it NOW, chances are that the kitten will be normal but, if they don't, there is a high likelihood that the kitten will have problems standing and walking for the rest of its life.

If the breeder is already doing what they need to be, the kitten will probably be normal but, the longer they delay, the worse the prognosis will likely be.

If I were you, I'd talk to the breeder to find out what, if anything, they've been doing.

If they HAVE been treating the kitten, I'd say it'll probably be okay.

If they start treating the kitten, NOW, my advice would be, "Wait and see."
If the treatment works, okay, but, if not, I say, "Pass!"

If they are not treating the kitten or if they give you vague answers, pass.

It only takes a few weeks or, at most, a month or two to treat a kitten with Swimmer's Syndrome and it is CRITICAL that treatment is started ASAP. The longer this goes untreated, the worse-off the kitten will be and, if it's severe enough that the grown cat can't stand, walk, eat and clean itself, normally, the best course of action might be euthanasia. (Determined on a case-by-case basis, of course.)

Bottom line: If the breeder is doing what they need to be and are treating the kitten, all should be well. If they are not or if they are giving you the run-around, get another kitten from some place else.

If you do end up going some place else, please consider getting a shelter kitty. There are too many perfectly healthy cats and kittens, living in shelters who need good homes. Why buy from a breeder that's only adding to the potential problem when there are already plenty of cats and kittens just waiting for you to take them home, right now? It'll probably be a damn-sight cheaper, too!

Our cat, Casper, is a rescue kitty and he turned out to be the BEST, most loving and well behaved cat I have EVER had! :)

Read more about Swimmers Syndrome here: Understanding Swimmers Syndrome | Onlinepethealth
Thank you for your help! And believe me I don’t normally buy from breeders, most of my pets are rescues and I volunteer with a reptile rescue and used to be on the board of our local SPCA. I always wanted a Bengal and there are no Bengal rescues locally, so that is why I am getting a kitten from a breeder.

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normally I’d stay out of this, and of course I wish your lil kitty the best, but there are, heartbreakingly, so many strays needing good homes and they are all fine upstanding citizens! Just reiterating what Caspar’s Human is saying.
I agree, most of my pets are rescues and I normally don’t purchase animals from breeders but I always wanted a Bengal and this breeder is very reputable and trust worthy and this is the reason I’m getting him. I appreciate your comment though and I do know how important it is to rescue, believe me. 😊

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say, at this point, you really need to talk to the breeder and flesh out what the plan should be.

If they are taking this thing seriously and starting treatment, ASAP, then absolutely go forward with the deal. If they are hemming and hawing around, giving vague answers but not really doing anything, pass them up.

Like Furballsmom Furballsmom says, it MIGHT not be Swimmers but how are we to know if the other people aren't talking? How bad is it? Severe? Mild? What? What are people doing to help or are they just calling the kitten a loss? Their attitude is key, right now. It is THEY who are going to set this kitten on the path it will take for the rest of its life.

BTW: I like Bengals. :) Casper's Girl-Human's mom has one. Wish we could see him more often but they live far away. :(

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd say, at this point, you really need to talk to the breeder and flesh out what the plan should be.

If they are taking this thing seriously and starting treatment, ASAP, then absolutely go forward with the deal. If they are hemming and hawing around, giving vague answers but not really doing anything, pass them up.

Like Furballsmom Furballsmom says, it MIGHT not be Swimmers but how are we to know if the other people aren't talking? How bad is it? Severe? Mild? What? What are people doing to help or are they just calling the kitten a loss? Their attitude is key, right now. It is THEY who are going to set this kitten on the path it will take for the rest of its life.

BTW: I like Bengals. :) Casper's Girl-Human's mom has one. Wish we could see him more often but they live far away. :(
Thank you so much! The breeder is working with him and getting him exercise and playing and going to get him used to the wheel for strength. The vet didn’t request any kind of therapy, just saying he’s growing so fast and he’s so big and heavy that it was too much and his legs are catching up slowly. I did get more videos today, I want to figure out how to post them, I don’t have a YouTube account, so not sure how to do it, if someone can explain to me the steps to post, I would love for you to see him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
This guide may help;
On TCS we ask that people do not post links to videos, but load them to the site.
The sites that are currently available for download are listed below these instructions but you'll also find them listed under the URL box when you post there.

To post your video:
In the toolbar at the top of the post, click on the small arrow as shown:

Insert box.jpg

It will produce a drop down box.
Click on the Media option:

Media drop down box.jpg

A box will appear where you can paste the URL. Paste it there, then click 'continue' at the bottom and your video should appear.
If it doesn't, it is from a source that is not accommodated by this platform.

URL for media.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet didn’t request any kind of therapy, just saying he’s growing so fast and he’s so big and heavy that it was too much and his legs are catching up slowly.
Good to hear! It sounds like they're saying that it's a mild case, if it's a case at all.

It could very well be due to fast growth spurt, as they seem to be saying. Yes, exercise is the key to solving this problem, regardless whether it's Swimmers or just a growth spurt. It sounds like your breeder is trying to get ahead of the ball. :)

I'd still suggest a "wait and see" approach until we know more in but I must also admit that the outlook is positive, so far.

Looking forward to see a video when you get them going.