Swelling on lower lip

chrismeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'm new on here.
my cat meg had a swollen lower lip a month or so ago,I took her to the vet and he gave her a course of antibiotics which cleared it up......until a few days ago and it was swelling again,so of to the vet again, she was given a long lasting steroid injection and another course of antibiotics.
Meg is 14 and is more a less a house cat,she goes in the back garden but never ventures out of it.
the vet said she may need another steroid injection in 4 to 6 weeks time, that is if the swelling comes back.
what can be causing this swelling? the vet said it could her immune system, or she is allergic to something as I said that it seems to happen a few days later after she's been at the bottom of the garden, I'm just hoping and praying it doesn't come back......it's a bit expensive! But I wouldn't let her suffer.
thanks
Chrismeg

ibbykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happens to my kitty, too!  He's allergic to something, but determining what exactly can be tricky.  If the shots are too expensive, you could ask about a prescription steroid pill.  60 doses of pred will run you about $20 (and the goal is to give as little as possible, so you start with a dose a day then reduce it). 

Once you get the reaction under control you could start to see if you can narrow down what's causing it.  Try keeping her out of the garden for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference.  You might also want to have her on Revolution because she could be allergic to a particular insect bite (particularly fleas).  If it still comes back, you could try a food trial.  There are unfortunately a lot of different things that could be causing the swelling.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrismeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply, at least I'm not on my own with this! I've been worried sick, as I said to my son it can'tbe a tumor cos that wouldn't dissappear then come back! She went to the bottom of the garden this morning so I followed her to see what she does, she just sits there looking up the tree at the birds,but I did notice what looked like nettles near to where she was sitting,so I walked back to the house and as I did she shot passed me and ran in! I will get down there one day when the weather is dry and clear it up! by the way I'm in the UK.........

ibbykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty!  I know how frustrating it can be.  I've been trying to find out the cause of my kitty's swelling for about 3 months now-- still no luck 

I hope once you clear out the nettles the swelling will stop! 

chrismeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,haven't been here for a while, the swelling on megs lip did clear up,but came back again!so I went to the vet and asked for some medication for her,I didn't take meg coz last time she really fought me when putting her in the carrier,but as the vet had treated her for this before she gave me steroids for her,I asked if it kept coming back could I get more from them,but she said she would have to see her every 2mths,I really don't want to take her,the problem is getting her in her carrier,it really stressed her and me last time,she scratched and bit me!today it looks like it may be coming back,sometimes it looks OK, then it looks like it's coming again. I thought it could be an allergy to her food,she was on Felix from a kitten,then suddenly she wouldn't eat it,so I changed her to another,then I maybe it's because of the change in her food,so I tried her with Felix again and now she's eating it again! Honestly they're worse than kids and just as much worry!!

chrismeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to say......she is eating and drinking ok,her eyes are clear,she's lively enough, tho she does sleep a lot,but no more than any other cat....plus she is 14, in fact she was running about earlier on!