Sweetie is better than an alarm clock...but I can't turn it off!

kelleyeliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 14 week old kitten, Sweetie, has developed an annoying habit. She has gotten used to my husband getting up to go to work between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. The past two weekends she has started standing at the bedroom door wailing between those times waiting for him to come out. We can't let her sleep with us yet, because she still gets hyper during the night. She'll sleep ok with us for a while, but then feel the need to climb and explore everything during the night -- including battling the window blinds. Not exactly restful! Ignoring her hasn't worked....she won't give up. Because of the layout of our house there is no where to put her where she won't wake up either us or the kids except the garage. She's learning to hate the garage (which isn't great...since I was hoping to move the litterbox in there eventually). Before you object to the garage, it is safe. All chemicals are kept on a high shelf and there is not much else that can harm her.

Since she's so young I want to nip this habit in the bud! I know the poor dear can't read the calendar and doesn't know one day from the next, but please let me get some sleep! Between my son with night terrors and the cat, I'm exhausted!!

Thanks!
Kelley & Sweetie

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the club! We've had the same problem with Jamie for nearly seven years, and I only found a solution to it a few weeks ago. Since he's used to getting his breakfast between 5:00 and 5:30 a.m. on weekdays, he naturally wants it at that time on weekends. I finally bought an automatic feeder with a timer, which I fill before going to bed (he gets dry food for breakfast) and set for 5:00 a.m.. It has worked wonders.
http://www.petcompany.co.uk/acatalog...eeders_15.html

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kelleyeliz

She'll sleep ok with us for a while, but then feel the need to climb and explore everything during the night -- including battling the window blinds.
Welcome to the world of kittens! That sounds very familiar - esp the bit about the window blinds! What is it that's so attractive about them? - I think mine just rattles them to annoy me! I think the automatic feeder is a good idea - a kitten doesnt know the difference between one day and another - if she's got into the habit of being fed that early she'll always want it. If it's any consolation my kitten is now 5 months and is a bit calmer at night!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to my world!! I keep telling my cats that I'm going to install sleep alarms on them!

Stephanie

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem with my 7 yr olds. The difference is the wake us up 2 hours before the alarm. Or I should say they wake hubby up. They even make a game out it. They know they are getting kicked out of the room when they wake him so they hid behind tables so he can't correct them. Sometimes when he kicks them out they start clawing at the door. Funny thing is they only wake him up. And when I say wake up I am talking about sitting on top of him, yelling & hitting him in the face.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

Funny thing is they only wake him up. And when I say wake up I am talking about sitting on top of him, yelling & hitting him in the face.
That totally made me laugh out loud - although I'm sure it isnt funny for your husband

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Boy's don't move until I get up for the day, I can have potty break, and they somehow know I'm not up for the day. If I get up and daddy is still sleeping they will make enough noise to wake the dead. Glad they are trained to my schedule