Sweet stray I've been caring for is missing some fur

Litter.aly.lost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been caring for a female stray, we named her Gypsy, for about 6 months now. I can't bring her inside because I don't want to expose my indoor cats to any outside diseases she may carry because I suspect that she is sick. She is fixed and by no means feral, in fact I can't believe that someone would just abandon her because she is the absolute sweetest cat I've ever met. We've raised our 2 indoor ones since birth and they aren't even close to being as friendly and sweet as she is, she's definitely a lap kitty. Anyhow a few weeks ago I had some spare cash and decided to make her a vet appt. I wasn't gonna bother putting her in the cage until it was time to go because I knew I could easily pick her up and put her in there. Unfortunately about 15 min before it was time to go a thunderstorm came and she ran off to hide. So I had to cancel the vet appt. Two days ago my situation changed and money is quite tight so I'm not sure when I will be able to take her in. Today I noticed that her fur is looking quite sparse near her tail I'll attach pictures. I would like to know if this is indicative of illness or perhaps from a fight or whatnot. I try to remember to go change my clothes and jump in the shower after playing with gypsy and petting her etc before I handle our kitties but sometimes things don't work out like that. I just want to know if I should use more caution from here on out.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Even though her body condition looks decent I'm thinking there's something going on nutritionally/digestively although I'm not a vet by any stretch but no, not from a fight.

Maybe there's something here, or maybe the vet would allow a payment plan...

(apologies for any dead links);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom - it would not seem to be from a fight. Are there other spots on her that look like the one on her back? It could be mange, or fleas. Does she scratch at any of that area? It really needs to be looked at, but most certainly if it spreads to other parts of her body, it will become crucial for her to be check out by a vet.

if your vet will accept pics, you might just want to send them one and ask for their thoughts. If you have a good relationship with them, perhaps they would be willing to let you set up a payment plan for Gypsy to be seen and treated? Maybe they would even recommend a low-cost clinic to take her to?

I think until you know what you are dealing with, it would be wise to take precautions like washing your hands, and if she is touching your shoes and/or clothing, those should be removed before you approach your own cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think that this is from a fight either. No blood, broken skin, fight wounds aren't that symmetrical. It looks like hair loss from a skin condition, but that is a guess as well. If you were to be able to get her to the vet and got a clean bill of health once this condition were treated could you adopt her? Vet could test for FeLV when she is in for her visit, etc.