Sweet 16?

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have absolutely no recollection of my 16th bday! Chances are I had soem friends sleep over and got some clothes...but I didn't get a car til I was 17 and had to maintain an A- average for a year to get it, and had to put my own money from babysitting and teaching day-camp towards it, though my parents payed the majority of it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have no idea what I got for my 16th.
Oh wait, that may have been when my mother finally let me pierce my ears!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I got a cake? But that was..umm...(gets out calculator)...almost 33 years ago.
As we are just about the same age I'm borrowing your quote.
Since I am a twin I can remember we had a birthday party (girls only)
Don't remember any gifts. Mom and dad gave us 10 speed bikes (huffy brand)!
But about 6 weeks later dad gave "us" a 1967 Chev Impala!!! Our 1st car!!!

staciej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I moved the summer of my 16th birthday and since it was a new country/new house, etc my parents couldnt find what I wanted so I had money added to my bank account and got to have dutch pancakes for dinner since gorccery stores didnt sell birthday cakes (you had to go to a pastry shop but mum didnt know that) and she didnt know enough dutch to bake a cake from the cake mix.

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I had a party and probably the cake was more special. As far as gifts go, I can't remember what my parents got me. I'm sure my mom did something special, I think it was a jewelry.

My first car was one that my husband and I bought after we got married. I never had a car of my own when I was growing up.

Anyway, I know a gal that threw a huge party (50+ kids) for her son's 16th. You would have thought he accomplished something really big - besides going from 15 to 16.

I think everything is getting out of hand. I know kids who get $10 from the tooth fairy. I was thrilled to get 25 cents. We gave our kids some change (less than a dollar)

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

i think sweet 16s are getting a little out of hand these days!
I think every generation has stories of spoiled friends.