Suspected Hip Problems

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our girls came to us with a deformed stature and does the bunny hop thing sometimes, and sometimes acts stiff. She's not even 5 yet, and gets around very well other than these few instances of stiffness upon rising or during cold, damp weather.
Vet does suspect a hip joint malformation and we all decided cosequin would be a good help, which we give every 2nd day. We also give her fish oil a few times a week.
I've been reading about Lubrisyn and wondered if it was safe, long term, for cats. If we did cosequin every 2nd day, and Lubrisyn on the off days from the cosequin, would this be an OK thing to try?
(We only give the cosequin every 2nd day because she's a tiny thing.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, to add, she's raw fed and seems to love it and does get things like lung and chicken feet regularly for the glucosamine and chondroitin factor.
(And yes, I had to copy/paste the spelling of glucosamine and chondroitin. Why couldn't they have just called it wax on and wax off or something for us that aren't good "speelers", ha!) :lol:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry my cats aren't old yet so i don't know anything about the medicines. Hopefully an experienced person will share. But it is safe to feed fish oil everyday. Dr. Pierson from catinfo.org recommended a combined 300mg of EPA and DHA from fish oil for every cat i have (3). I was consulting her for a possible kidney issue for one of my cats and she said its good for kidney cats/all cats. And for the cold have you considered a heated cat bed? It might help with the joints.

K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Heated Pet Bed Large Sage 20" 4W

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh thanks @kittyluv
We don't have a heated pad, but we will look into this. The last one we had was for a dog and the cats did like it as I remember, I had to boot them off the bed to make room for the poor dog...

I guess I'm kind of concerned. I've dealt with hip problem and arthritis in the old but never the young(ish).
This cat is (in personality) tough as nails and nothing slows her down, usually....she's a little tiger and is the craziest, and most driven cat to be a "cat" that I've ever had the pleasure of being around. She's happily nuts, and I just adore her and I hate seeing her unable to jump and climb like a normal cat...
If she suspects a "thing" (a bug, a ghost, an imaginary bug-ghost, whatever) exists, or might someday (today, tomorrow, 1,001 years from now) MAYBE could possibly appear...she's attacking the crap out of the walls, doors, windows.
I try not to play favorites but I do love this little cat in a special way because she's nuts, and she's tough. I just hate the idea of her aging as a cat that's basically crippled, her mind well but her body failing. :(

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, life just isn't fair sometimes. We want our pets to live normal and healthy lives! She does sound mostly ok though since she's reasonably active. And it sounds like you're doing all you can. My black cat has quite a few issues off the bat so i can relate haha. He had:
Gingivitis as a kitten!
Eyelid agenesis on the lower right lid
Chronic diarrhea as a kitten that was fixed with raw food
1 mini seizure that i witnessed when he was almost 3 (3.5 now)

Do you have a pic of your girl?