Surviving With Psoriasis

H_Wolf08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My boyfriend unfortunately suffers from severe psoriasis on his hands and we have recently decided to introduce an adorable brother and sister cat duo into our lives. He is convinced the cat hair wont trigger his hands to flare up, but I am not convinced. I was curious if anyone knows of things I can do around the house and he can do for his hands to keep the reaction to as small as possible?
My plan is to vacuum the entire house at least once a week, wash the sheets and pillows as often as needed, brush the cats once to twice a week, and give them the hypoallergenic wipe baths once a week. While my boyfriend will also start taking allergy pills habitually, use the special psoriasis soap to wash his hands after long exposure to petting the kitties, and then use the Eucerine Eczema lotion to keep them moistened.

Any help that comes to mind is much appreciated!
Thank you,
The new parents of sweet Phoebe and Charlie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

H_Wolf08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I am curious if anyone has experience with coconut oil on the coat of the cat or an air filter reducing allergies a considerable amount?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have minor psoriasis on my legs and elbows, and the cats don't aggravate it at all. Since psoriasis is really skin cells that grow too fast, when I shower, I make sure to scrub these areas well to remove dead skin. Afterward, I apply a cortisone cream. The psoriasis is still there, but it's not itchy or crusty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

H_Wolf08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have minor psoriasis on my legs and elbows, and the cats don't aggravate it at all. Since psoriasis is really skin cells that grow too fast, when I shower, I make sure to scrub these areas well to remove dead skin. Afterward, I apply a cortisone cream. The psoriasis is still there, but it's not itchy or crusty.
What do you use to scrub it with in the shower? He has used some scrubs in the past that contained small amounts of fragrance and caused him to break out in hives all over!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just scrub with a washcloth and soap. He could use a net puff, too, which would probably do a better job. Ivory soap is the only true soap on the market, and as I recall, it doesn't have any fragrance in it. All the other "soaps" are detergents. If he is not allergic to detergents, they should be fine, but it's hard to find one that isn't perfumed. I wouldn't recommend anything that claims to be a scrub; thoroughly washing is enough.