Surgery Update

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I saw the breast surgeon Friday and the plastic surgeon yesterday. My surgery is tentatively set for Jan 14th. They have to wait for Medi-cal to OK a MRI. The surgeon wants that to see if there are any other tumors that did not show in my right breast.

I was concerned about having to go to the County Hospital as it has a bad rep. But I found out that is only in the emergency department. Everyone is so nice and helpful.

Dr. Martin, my breast surgeon, is top notch. She is Chief of Surgery but you could never tell. She is so friendly and nice. Dr. Martin is nice too. He is Chief of Surgery at a different hospital but goes to County 2 times a week. He works with Dr. Martin as a team.

As of right now, I will be having a partial mastectomy of my left breast. They will remove the tumor, nipple and areola. They have to remove the nipple since I have had a discharge from that one. Dr. Freeman will put in a tissue expander in that breast at the same time.

After my chemo and radiation treatments, I will have a second surgery to put implants in. He will do a boob lift on my right so the will look the same. LOL, he said I would have perkier breasts, but not too perky to look unnatural. 

My third surgery will be after I have healed so he can fashion a new nipple and areola. The cancer center is submitting the paperwork so I can get state disability. I was hoping that everything would be cleared up in a month or so, but that is not to happen. I will be off work for at least 6 months. 

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds very positive! And its great you have a good doctor.

It will all be over with before you know it :vibes:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you the best of luck and hope after everything is said and done, you will be back to a normal life and cancer free. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all wish you a speedy recovery --- and having good doctors that you have faith in is great.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs*  Having confidence in your doctors is 1/2 the battle won already. When I found out I needed surgery for endometrial cancer, the surgeon on the first available surgery date was one that I had seen in action on the ward, and I didn't want him anywhere near me.  I'm sure he was a good surgeon, a great one in fact based on everything I heard about him in the OR.  But on the ward I found him to be sloppy and rude and hurried.  So I chose to wait another 6 to 8 weeks for another date with a surgeon that I knew and trusted. Knowing I had a good surgeon in my corner helped to calm the rest of my anxiety a little.

Sending tons and tons of good vibes your way!!!

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prayers going your way. I am believing that soon this will all be just a memory for you and all will be fine.