xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You look really good Sarah.
There is a sparkle in your eyes.

I am a member of the zipper club too.

My surgery was in 2002.
It was a challenging recovery but well worth it.

Keep up the good work and you will be better than ever before you know it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How can you possibly look so pretty right after major surgery?

I'm so glad it all went well! And your husband is great to explain it all for us -- he writes like a doctor himself. You both must have learned so much through this process!

It's wonderful that this is behind you now. And now it won't be too long before you can go home to your kitties!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad to see you posting Sarah!

Your scar does look good, considering the kind of surgery it is for. I am impressed. And I am also impressed with the amount of colour in your complexion - I was kinda expecting you to be pale. You look so good!

Continued vibes for your recovery!

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad to hear from you, Sarah.
Like the others have said, you're looking pretty darn good for someone who's had open heart surgery a few days ago!

Lots more vibes for your continued improvement.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that you are doing so well!

Given what the doctor said, I'm really glad that you had the surgery now and didn't wait!

As a nurse it's quite interesting to read Andrew's perception of what was happening and his descriptions of the equipment IE: the chest tube set up.

The incision looks very clean and healthy. In time you should hardly have any scaring. It looks like they used sutures intead of skin staples?

I'm still keeping you in my thoughts that your recovery continues to go well.

If you have pain, make sure you are asking for something for it. Don't try and be stoic and "live with it". Pain medications at this point are your friend

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG Sarah, somehow I missed all of this!

I cannot believe how great you look after what you just went through! You've got SUCH a great attitude about it. I didn't know you were considering waiting on the surgery - but after reading through all of this, I'm really glad you didn't wait.

I am SO glad things went so well - and I'm just sending huge amounts of vibes for a speedy and complete recovery with no complications!

Laurie

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Like everyone has said, you look so good!
I hope you can get some rest there soon. I don't know that I could sleep well at a hospital at any point! I'll still be keeping you in my prayers!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding my well wishes for your continued swift recovery!

I agree with everyone else...you look great!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also adding my that way.You look wonderful!!!
I agree with, if you are in pain---don't tough it out.Get something for it.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And you're still smiling!!
It's fantastic news that you are recovering so quickly! Your DH is right - you really are a trooper and it's great to see you posting to let us know you're fine.
I hope this road continues to be as smooth as it can be.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear you are doing well!!!!

hope you are able to go home soon!!!!!

heeh part of life is the scars we have, EAch one tells a story

god knows i have lot of stories to tell eheh.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah! Glad to hear everything went well with the operation. I hope your recovery is just as smooth. I hope you & Andrew get some well deserved rest soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks all! I do feel pretty good! I was hurting today when I had a CT scan - the process of lying down, holding my arms over my head, then having to it up again REALLY hurt, and it was right at the time I was due for my pain meds, but once they kicked in it was fine. I'm holding off the pain meds for the moment as I feel fine - I want to start weaning off them. i only seem to feel discomfort now if something actually happens - ie. the CT scan.

My lungs are still not the best, but getting a bit better. I'm sooooo ready to get out of here though, I'm climbing the walls just about! At this stage I should be able to go home on Wednesday.

I thought my recovery was jut average, but there's a guy across the hall who had similar surgery the day after me and he looks horrible
He's only 37, so not old my any means. He's getting blood transfusions (which I haven't needed), and can barely get out of bed so still has his tubes all in, whereas I can walk relatively easily. So I realise just how lucky I've been.

I'm certainly not worried about the scar, it looks so good, and it means I'm alive!

I spoke to DH this morning when he was home to ask him to bring a couple of things in, and Lily was mewing away at him - she's so cute! They've all been snuggling with him every night he's been home (I don't need him here at night).

My looks certainly vary, apparently i was very pale and sick looking after my CT scan, but generally it's fine. My hair only looks good because it's so oily that it doesn't move
Apparently I can have a shower tomorrow! Woohoo!

I also got my external pacemaker wires pulled today. They were there just in case I needed my heart restarted since it's pretty fragile right now. It was so weird. They're quite thin wires, but the ends are coiled, and they're about 30cm (12 inches) long, so she started pulling them and kept pulling! It wasn't painful, but oh man it was so weird feeling the coiled bits being pulled from around my heart and through my chest! DH said the look on my face was priceless

Anyway, that's all for today!

Hope you're well, can't wait to get home and catch up on everything!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

So glad to hear you are doing well!!!!

hope you are able to go home soon!!!!!

heeh part of life is the scars we have, EAch one tells a story

god knows i have lot of stories to tell eheh.
Scars only add more character.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I also got my external pacemaker wires pulled today. They were there just in case I needed my heart restarted since it's pretty fragile right now. It was so weird. They're quite thin wires, but the ends are coiled, and they're about 30cm (12 inches) long, so she started pulling them and kept pulling! It wasn't painful, but oh man it was so weird feeling the coiled bits being pulled from around my heart and through my chest! DH said the look on my face was priceless
I have pulled out many external pacemaker wires! It's quite a daunting experience for the nurse too. At least it is for me, because those things are actually screwed into the heart muscle.

Keep up with the pain meds. Being pain free while sitting is not the goal. You need to be pain free, or relatively pain free while being active, and that includes CT Scans too.

Glad you're doing well. Any hints as to when you will be going home? By the sounds of things you could be discharged before the end of the week if you keep up the progress that you are making.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like your scar will be really minimal -- but in any case, I've always loved what a friend of mine said to his wife about her scar from a lumpectomy:

"Oooooh, texture!"