Surgery today and now seems cat can’t swallow

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had part of her tail amputated today and had aesthetic … was told to offer her food this evening and she was ready to eat … seems very hungry and kept trying to eat but can’t ..I am very worried she is suppose to get her meds with food starting in the morning ..I sure hope that goes away and she is able to eat soon..I guess I’m here to see if anyone has experience with this ?

Thanks Nancy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She finally seemed to be able to swallow last night and ate alittle tuna before bed ,, but again this morning she’s acting like she is starving but when offered food she refuses .,

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some lickable treats, it may be easier for her to eat. I get Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors at Walmart and the Dollar Store and use it to give meds and when they are sick. It is good you got a little down her, I've had cats refuse food for up to a week after surgery, and they have been fine if you get just a tiny amount down them.....

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve offered her many different things she is a huge cat and loves to eat … it’s heart breaking she is doing her usually routine when she wants to be fed.. even sitting in the kitchen by the fridge …But when I set the food in front of her she will lick it but that’s all then walks away ..On top of that she spit out her pain meds..She’s my last pet.. I’ve been through a lot of heartache with pets and humans the past 3 years …She’s my old girl she is 14 ..I worry to much these days .. I hope she eats later so I can try and get her pain meds into her

Attachments

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m at my cottage for a few days no stores really around but will drive back home tomorrow to see the vet again if I need too ..I can’t believe this happened to her :(

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing a great job monitoring her! The vets will be pleased with that. I'm suspicious that she's sore in her throat from having the tube during surgery, that's not even uncommon in humans. Is she drinking water, broth? If she's at least licking at her food, that's encouraging. Hang in there :)

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve offered her many different things she is a huge cat and loves to eat … it’s heart breaking she is doing her usually routine when she wants to be fed.. even sitting in the kitchen by the fridge …But when I set the food in front of her she will lick it but that’s all then walks away ..On top of that she spit out her pain meds..She’s my last pet.. I’ve been through a lot of heartache with pets and humans the past 3 years …She’s my old girl she is 14 ..I worry to much these days .. I hope she eats later so I can try and get her pain meds into her

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update … she seems to have turned a corner late last night ..I managed to get some pain meds into her with some fresh cooked chicken thighs ( whatever works ) She is a tough old cat and very stubborn . Thanks to all those who responded … I always know where to turn for support .. Thanks again catsite people !

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A bit of a set back … I noticed her incision isn’t looking right .. seems a stitch let go or she some how got to it :( I will be taking her back to the vets today so they can check it ..

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A bit of a set back … I noticed her incision isn’t looking right .. seems a stitch let go or she some how got to it :( I will be taking her back to the vets today so they can check it ..
Update… the vet said the stitches were still there but not tight as they should be .. so she put a drop of glue … and pushed it closed again … I am told it’s was looking good !

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update… the vet said the stitches were still there but not tight as they should be .. so she put a drop of glue … and pushed it closed again … I am told it’s was looking good !
That's great! How long do they think she will need to have the stitches in for?

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's great! How long do they think she will need to have the stitches in for?
They come out Sept 2 nd(14 days) I figured out last night if she lies in a certain way she can actually flick her tail inside the e collar … caught her trying to get at it again .. 9 more days to go …I have to watch her like a hawk now !

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My dog is in a cone too, and it's amazing how they are natural contortionists and can manage to chew on the area even with a cone on! I hope she heals quickly and fully, and soon 🙂