Surely this can't be right?

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK My husband and I have just come back from the dentist for our yearly checkup. Prior to our last appointment we hadn't been to the dentist for years. On our last appointment a year ago we were told that our teeth were fine and needed no work at all. We go this year and hubbie is told he needs three of his fillings re-doing and I'm told I need 4 new fillings. We hve not treated our teeth any different in the last year and in fact we've been using an expensive brand of mouthwash for the last 6 months. Now I'm not a dentist but I smell a fish and it ain't the cat food!!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shem

Now I'm not a dentist but I smell a fish and it ain't the cat food!!
Sorry for the laugth dear Linsay...
but seem so funny this las row you!

Humm...
why you and hubby ask an another opinion?
ask to your friends who´s their dentist and make a new appointment!

Good luck...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Sorry for the laugth dear Linsay...
but seem so funny this las row you!

Humm...
why you and hubby ask an another opinion?
ask to your friends who´s their dentist and make a new appointment!

Good luck...
Yes.. we've thought of that Rigel.. it's just in the UK Dentist thing is all up in the air.. just ask Susan. There isn't enough NHS dentists around so this is also why I think our dentist may be pulling a fast one

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that your expensive mouthwash is slightly corrosive on your fillings. Some mouthwashes can be really harsh on your teeth too - Listerine in particular has a very bad reputation for being harsh, full of sweeteners that ruin your teeth and can be horrid to fillings. Depending on what type of fillings you have, I guess. Perhaps that's worth looking into.

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once went to a dentist who told me I had SEVEN cavities. I had previously only had two in my entire life, and I brush at least twice a day, so that didn't seem right to me - so I got a second opinion, and surprise surprise, I had ONE cavity. Makes me furious when I think about all the pain and trouble the first dentist was going to put me through to 'fill' six extra non-existent cavities!
So yes, it can happen. I would definitely try to get a second opinion if at all possible!

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

It could be that your expensive mouthwash is slightly corrosive on your fillings. Some mouthwashes can be really harsh on your teeth too - Listerine in particular has a very bad reputation for being harsh, full of sweeteners that ruin your teeth and can be horrid to fillings. Depending on what type of fillings you have, I guess. Perhaps that's worth looking into.
Really? Gosh thats really shocked me!!
Thnk you for bringing that advice to my attention.. you're damned if you do and damned if you don't basically!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lindsey is it the same dentist that you normally go to?.

That does seem a lot of work to be done especially when you were just there last year?!.

A dentist who i used to go to years ago would always find something to be done, be it a replacement filling or as he called it a new "pin head" filling and i went every 6 months then.

It was after 3 mouth infections after being at his surgery that alarm bells rang and i started talking to someone who used to be one of his patients but left because he always gave her fillings at every checkup!!.

I changed my dentist and the first checkup i had i needed nothing done except for a scale and polish, and i was fine for many years after.

I would agree with Emma on the mouthwashes as well because they can be quite abrasive and have also been linked with mouth cancer!.

These new fillings that you have to have?, has he called them "pin head" fillings?!

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes that sounds about right.. doesn't suprise me at all. Her body language was all wrong too. One of the ways to tell a fibber is that they rub the back of their nect when talking to you and she was doing this

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I need 1 big filling and three pin head fillings. Hubbie needs three of his fillings re-doing. It's the same Dental practice as last year but a different Dentist.. I just worry that if I get them checked at another dentist it's going to be a huge waiting list and my dentist was the only one taking on NHS is my area. How much would it be to go private?

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be the mouth wash as another member stated but I would still get a second opinion.. for sure... That is a big change over a year I would think

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes I need 1 big filling and three pin head fillings. Hubbie needs three of his fillings re-doing. It's the same Dental practice as last year but a different Dentist.. I just worry that if I get them checked at another dentist it's going to be a huge waiting list and my dentist was the only one taking on NHS is my area. How much would it be to go private?
It certainly sounds like you need a different dentist!.

To go private it was quite a few £ per month, and the last i knew that didn't include lab work such as crowns, gold fillings etc...

I would put your appointment back a few weeks because i always get my reminder the end of june but i don't go until the end of july when i'm on holiday, and in the meantime ring other dentists to see if they will put you on their books.

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use that new 'Dentyl' (visibly active mouthwash) Smooth Mint Alcohol Free

babybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definately get a second opinion as well. As for the filling redoing, I have never heard of that ever. I haven't had any of my fillings redone, except once when it turned out i was allergic to something in the fillings i had. So i had to get all removed and new ones put in. But aside from that I think if they are well done, they shouldn't need redoing.
I also have to agree with others about the mouthwash, I have heard that as well.

I would maybe wait out the other opinion before getting anything done. If you suspect there is something wrong with what the dentist said, then it's better to wait I think.

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats what I thought. When they booked us in for our appointment she receptionist said - and I quote - 'I'm sorry but we can't fit you in til October because Dr X is very busy and booked up til then' I bet she bloomin well is!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any evidence of this, but I suspect that whitening toothpastes are not all that good for us. I always wonder if they strip the enamel.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thats what I thought. When they booked us in for our appointment she receptionist said - and I quote - 'I'm sorry but we can't fit you in til October because Dr X is very busy and booked up til then' I bet she bloomin well is!!
October!!!!, pffftttt well if everyones checkup at your surgery has went like yours and hubby's then i bet their raking it in off the NHS!!

Change dentists Lindsey before you have a mouth full of fillings, and the next thing they'll be doing is pursuading you to have them removed and have them replaced with white ones which is extra money!!.

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did use Sesodine ?spelling? and now I use Colgate Sensitive..

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

October!!!!, pffftttt well if everyones checkup at your surgery has went like yours and hubby's then i bet their raking it in off the NHS!!

Change dentists Lindsey before you have a mouth full of fillings, and the next thing they'll be doing is pursuading you to have them removed and have them replaced with white ones which is extra money!!.
The more I think about it the more obvious it's appearing that things aren't right..
How dare they!! I'm getting on to a helpline for local advice!!

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would get a second opinion. However, it could also be accurate. I've gone years sometimes without having a filling, but the dentist told the assistant to just note a "watch" on several teeth, then eventually I ended up needing six or eight fillings all at once when all the "watches" got bad enough to do something about.

Do you drink a lot of soda pop or fruit juice? After I got in a habit of drinking soda pop, that's when my teeth really started to go downhill fast. After fifteen years of drinking two or three cans a day, I've finally kicked the habit. But by now the enamel, especially near the gumline, is so thin that it doesn't take much to wear through and require another filling. I think I've had 12 fillings and two crowns in the past three years. And I believe it is legit. It is the same dentist I've been going to for 18 years and he just puts a "watch" on them when he can. At my age (63) and with that many years of just sipping pop over a period of hours instead of drinking one down, then brushing, I'm just lucky I don't have dentures by now.