Supplements help

belovedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I har garden if life cod oil and now nutritional yeast flakes and ground egg shes(calcium) how much to give kitten? Also I have coconut oil organic

Don't have kitten yet btw

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm confused, are you trying to supplement a homemade diet? Or a commercial diet? Commercial diets are balanced and don't usually need supplementation. Also, cod liver oil is high in vitamin A and too much vitamin A can cause health problems. Too much calcium can cause problems too.

Maybe if we knew more about what you're trying to supplement for, we could better help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belovedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Want to feed it natural meat an veggie diet an I thought you are supposed to use supplements

May have to take the kitten back anyway the dog barks cuz it's excited and plays it wakes people up

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, when introducing cats and dogs, it's important that you know how to control the dog: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

I've asked that this thread be moved to the raw forum.

To feed your kitten a diet of meat, bone (or bone alternative/calcium supplement) and organ diet, it is very important it be properly balanced. There are many resources in this thread that you will find helpful: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources

You can use cod liver oil, but ONLY if you do not feed liver. That would result in too much vitamin A.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Want to feed it natural meat an veggie diet an I thought you are supposed to use supplements
Actually, cats are obligate carnivores, and they do not need vegetables in their diet (in fact, they don't digest them well, and have trouble deriving the appropriate fats or proteins they need from them).

To read about what cats need, this is a helpful link: http://www.catinfo.org

To read about creating a home made prey model raw diet, this is helpful: http://rawfedcats.org/

This site also has many resources for feeding a prey model raw diet: http://catcentric.org/

If you want to use eggshells instead of bone, you can either balance it per meal if you kitten is able to eat chunks of meat and organ (which CAN be ground or minced), or you can use it to make batches, if you are making ground food. This thread provides the amounts to use if balancing per meal - though you WILL need a kitchen scale: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263426/...hydroxyapatite-to-balance-meat-or-meat-organs

For a growing kitten, it is VERY important the food be properly balanced, otherwise you're better off feeding a commercial food.

Last edited:

belovedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here it is going back to pet store its complicated not just dog issue...shared house an others

Fixing photo one moment

Last edited:

belovedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The food we have is ground hamburger, chicken an in few weeks ground pork. I can't get organ that often. Could a person feed kittens with not much variety of meat? If so then what supplements ?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you were returning the kitten? :dk:

Certain supplements can replace organs, but I don't know what your availability is. Do you live in the US? Will you order online?

Chicken liver seems easy to find, just look for a tub in the chicken section.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pre-ground grocery meat (like hamburger meat) is not recommended because of the higher risks of bacterial contamination. In fact there was a recall not too long ago for ground beef due to salmonella contamination. If you are grinding it yourself, or having a butcher grind it, that's fine.

If you are serious about wanting to feed your kitten raw, please read the links that LDG provided you. There's also a Raw Feeding resources sticky in the Raw and Home-Cooked Cat Food forum. Especially for a kitten, it is important to get the calcium balance right.

If you are going to feed ground raw (as opposed to chunks/slices), then supplementation would be recommended. Please let us know where you are and we can suggest some options for you.

belovedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about cooked or lightly cooked so the meat has some pink? I'm in usa

Well it's a porch kitty now. Is it cute :)

Not grocery meat it's better local fresh meat.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the porch enclosed? It's quite risky for a kitten to have free access to outdoors. They don't know how to avoid danger. So this means you're keeping him/her? I hope you've made arrangements so he/she has a safe warm place to sleep, especially with winter coming. And, of course, you'll have to have him/her spayed/neutered very soon because an outdoor kitty will have lots of opportunities to mate.

Even fresh local meat, if ground, may have more bacteria than you might want to risk. Whole cuts of meat only have a little bacteria on the outside, but when meat is ground up, the bacteria gets distributed throughout the meat, and can grow to dangerous levels. If handled properly, it may not be a problem, and I know that some people do feed pre-ground raw meat. Up to you whether you think the risk is worth it.

In this link, under "nutritional supplements (premixes)", you can find a lot of different products that are intended to be added to raw meat to make it balanced: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources

belovedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will look into diet more. Can I cook the meat in beef tallow? Also make scrambled eggs an I can cook chicken an beef bones in crockpot. Do I for 3 days then blend or crush them?(my blender is old)

In the winter it's kitty igloo - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DI45S/?tag=&tag=thecatsite in a garage
Can I give cooked pumpkin as a treat? Today I didn't know what to do it had tuna. I have frozen tilapia fish also..

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While you figure out how to feed a homemade balanced diet, you might want to buy some canned food from the supermarket to feed your kitten. Right now he's growing, and giving him properly balanced nutrition is a must.

The porch doesn't look enclosed, if that's a picture of him on the porch? How are you going to keep him safe?

belovedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That pic is from earlier today theres an enclosure on the porch. Also I can't go out anymore tonight. Can cooked meats scrambled eggs frozen fish fillets work? No vehicle for a week now. There's some cat food here but not good kind.

There's also some pork brauts can I cook one?

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are you? Do you live with family? Is there anyone who can go pick up some canned food at a Rite Aid/CVS/Supermarket? Like LDG says, kittens really need to eat balanced meals. I'm sure a day of just cooked meat will not hurt BUT I would not take the risk at all. You can even get something like Friskies at the corner store.

I'm not quite sure what sort of living situation you have for the kitten. Keeping a kitten outside is certainly not safe. Would you leave your human baby outdoors because it's making your other child upset? Sorry, but if you can't be responsible for the kitten's safety please find a rescue group that will take him in...