Supplements for big poops

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 17 year old kitty has occasional problems with poops that are too big and painful. She's not backed up, the poops aren't huge (or bloody), they're just a bit too wide for her bum. I suspect she's had this all her life, as I'd occasionally find big poops outside the litter box, but never saw her struggle with it until recently.

I am looking for recommendations for supplements that can help with this. I am trying to avoid actual laxatives because I don't want her to become dependent on them, and I haven't had the chance to talk to my vet yet (COVID appointment delays.) And it's also not that big a problem (possibly once a month or less), and all my cats eat from each other's bowls, so if I can find a way to address it gently that might benefit all my cats I would prefer that.

She's currently on:
Wet food only (canned and rehydrated), watered down.
A probiotic, a digestive enzyme, tumeric/mussel stuff for joints, and omega-3 fish oils (the oils are dosed at 3x recommended, per my vet's advice... you'd think that would be enough to grease the way!)
She also takes meds for hyperthyroid. Her most recent bloodwork a couple months ago was great.

I was looking at "Smooth BM Gold" but I'm not sure if it's any good, and it's possible I may never know, even if I spend hundreds of dollars on several supplements and months of time before waiting for confirmation. I'm toying with just putting a bit of hairball gel in her food.

So, if anyone has any tried-and-true remedies, please let me know!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just put a tiny bit of Miralax in her food.
An 1/8 or a 1/4 teaspoon per day is all it takes. Maybe even less.

It all depends on the cat and how much water she's getting...which, by the way, it's a good idea to make sure she is getting enough water.

Anyhow, give a tiny dose of Miralax then keep an eye on the litter box. Give her enough Miralax so that it's easier for her to go but not so much that she gets the soupy poopies. Adjust the dosage, up or down, depending on how your cat responds.

Casper gets Miralax every day because he has issues with constipation. This is exactly what we do for Casper.

We make sure he gets plenty of water. He eats at least 50/50 dry and wet food. He gets 1/8-1/4 tsp. of Miralax every day.

With this regimen, he hasn't had a problem in over a year. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just put a tiny bit of Miralax in her food.
An 1/8 or a 1/4 teaspoon per day is all it takes. Maybe even less.

It all depends on the cat and how much water she's getting...which, by the way, it's a good idea to make sure she is getting enough water.

Anyhow, give a tiny dose of Miralax then keep an eye on the litter box. Give her enough Miralax so that it's easier for her to go but not so much that she gets the soupy poopies. Adjust the dosage, up or down, depending on how your cat responds.

Casper gets Miralax every day because he has issues with constipation. This is exactly what we do for Casper.

We make sure he gets plenty of water. He eats at least 50/50 dry and wet food. He gets 1/8-1/4 tsp. of Miralax every day.

With this regimen, he hasn't had a problem in over a year. :)

I feel certain she is getting enough water and anyway, I can't give her more unless I inject it :) Their food is almost the consistency of soup!

I actually have miralax and was considering using it but I was concerned about using a laxative as a chronic thing. But I guess, at 17 years old, there's only so much damage that can do!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miralax isn't a laxative. It's an ozmotic.

Laxatives cause stronger contractions in the colon to help push feces out.
Ozmotics absorb water from the body, into the feces, making them softer and easier to expel.

Yes, it is possible for laxatives to cause problems but, if used conscientiously, ozmotics do not.

You can give Miralax when you think your cat needs it and stop when you think she's all right. You can take it day by day and use it or not use it as you see fit.

Casper has been on Miralax, almost ever day for over a year (with our vet's guidance) and he hasn't had a single problem because of it.

BTW: Do, at least, give your vet a call and get their advice on this matter. :)