supplementary meaty bones

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I feed my cat freeze dried raw (Primal) with the occasional wet food meal for variety. I got her used to raw meats and chicken wings as a kitten and she loves them. I'm not yet feeling ready for fully raw but I did want to add a supplemental amount of raw with bone chicken for her teeth. My question is how often can I give her the chicken wing? one a day or is that too much? I don't want to unbalance her meals an i don't know how many of her calories should come from chicken wings? Any advice or if anyone does canned or freeze dried and supplements with meaty bones. Opinion? Does it really work for teeth? 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no expert on raw, but one wing a day sounds like way too much to me. Remember that too much bone will cause constipation, as well as unbalancing the diet. I'd say a wing once or twice a week would be about right.

Hopefully others with more experience in this will jump in soon.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One a day sounds fine...however if you fed 100% raw, you would even that out with meat and organ. Because you are still feeding canned as well (and you don't know what's in them), I would try feeding chicken every 2-3 days. If the poop is really light brown, then it's too much bone.

I've seen a huge difference in my cat's teeth since feeding raw, and chicken wings. I also feed turkey hearts and chicken necks. Remember that big meat chunks also help keep teeth clean - not just bones. Turkey hearts are considered meat, and they are great for the teeth! they are fibrous so they really need to chew through them :)