Superstitions

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

Willow, just a thought. . .

did you hang the horseshoe w/the open end up, or down? Hanging it down means all the luck runs out!
LOL that is what most think of when they find out about my whole ordeal. But growing up on a farm and growing up with family even more superstitious then I. I learned early on about the luck running out. So yup it was open side up.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cilla

When we were children we used to play a game as we walked along the pavement trying not to stand on the 'nicks' and we would recite

Stand on a nick
You'll marry a brick
And a fool
Will come to your wedding.

Another one my mother told me is that if your foot itches you are going to walk on strange ground. It often itches but nothing exciting seems to happen, perhaps it is all going to happen at once.
Our version was: "Step on the crack, you'll break your mother's back." Willow's Mom, I can really understand how you feel about black cats based on your experience(s). I totally distrust black poodles, because I've been bitten by them three times (twice by the same dog). I think we all have "illogical" fears/superstitions/dislikes based on childhood experiences and family opinions, so there should be no problem about owning up to them, even though others might not understand them. They'll seem "weird" or "stupid" to some people, while others can relate to them immediately. We are what we are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard the rhyme about magpies and if you are the only one that sees them at the time

One for sorrow
two for joy
three for a letter
four for a boy
five for silver
six for gold
seven for a secret never to be told.

I had an extroadinary experience about the seven for a secret never to be told, too sad to tell you here, but it was so true.

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you people watched this comedy called 'third rock from the sun.?' There was this episode on supersitions. It was funny the person decided to believe in every supersition and acted them all out together, like not stepping on black tiles, no page 13, carrying rabbit foot etc etc all during an interview for a grant.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will not allow flaming or otherwise troublesome posts to occur.
Please refrain from these types of posts on the board.

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that's all I was posting for was to share my thoughts

I apologize for any problems it may have caused.

Yeah did he get the grant?? lol

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cilla

Did they get the grant
Well, lets just say when the interviewers started talking about the things he mentioned on page 12, he tore off that page and ate it. So the answer would be no. If you should ever catch that episode, you have to watch it.