Super Stinky Poo!

jencarl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I am currently fostering a queen and her kittens, which is lots of fun, but I have a little problem. The momma cat's poop smells soooooo bad. I have three cats of my own, so I am familiar with what is typical. Bear with me, this is a bit gross...she poops once a day, the poo is large (med. dog sized, and she is a regular sized cat), it is solid, doesn't appear to have any mucus or blood or anything, and smells like nothing I've ever smelled before. Any ideas what could be causing this? Is there anything I can do to decrease the odor? Thanks in advance!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, once she starts eating better-quality food it might begin to improve! Another thing to think of is parasites or something that she may have, since she was a stray (right?) In my experience, cats who have been stray or feral have stinky poos and gas for a while.

alienangie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MY cat has been on insulin for almost 2 weeks and Hills M/D and has started doing bigger, smellier poos, and a lot more often. DO you think this is just the sudden change in diet, and will it settle down once she gets used to it...

Thanks
Angie
xxxxx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jencarl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm, I'm not sure. She's been living with us for 2 months already, I feed her Purina One kittten formula.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jencarl - I was going to ask about the food but you already answered me! And for the other poster....I know that with both my dog and my cat, Science Diet made their poop and pee have VERY strong odors. I don't know if that is normal in other cats with Science Diet, but it was my experiece....Sorry I can't help you more!

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Switching to a high quality food may help this problem. Low quality foods do tend to make poops stinky. I suggest Innova EVO, Timberwolf Organics, Felidae, California Natural, etc.