Super shy sick cat

astrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just turned 17 years old. He used to be around 16-17 pounds. Now he is maybe 6-7 pounds. He is super hungry and eats a lot of canned food but continues to lose weight. He is not diabetic. He throws up clear liquid every night during the night. A few weeks ago, he had an intestinal blockage which passed after a few hours of panic and pain. His breath is horrible and he has a lot of nasty gas. He will stroke out if I try to take him to the vet - super shy and doesn't like other people. Any suggestions or thoughts?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
He really should go to a vet. Is there any way you can have one come to your home? I was doing research on it just yesterday so I know they are out there in most areas near major cities, not sure where you are.

From what you are saying, there are signs of hyperthyroidism and kidney disease possible, also taking into consideration his age. They will need to run blood work and a urinalysis to tell for sure. Question for you - has your kitty been drinking a lot more water lately? How are the litter habits (peeing/pooping more/less)?

I have to say though, I strongly suggest getting the tests done. Those are the only ways to find out what is going on for sure, otherwise it's all speculation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

astrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a vet that can come to the house.  Problem is we would have to hold Astro down until she could give him a tranquilizer shot.  He is that skiddish with strangers.  He will try to rip us apart, he will froth at the mouth, and he will pee all over himself.  Really bad.  I haven't seen signs of tape worm lately but I was wondering if that might be a possibility since he is so hungry, losing weight, and throwing up when his tummy is empty (during the night and early morning).

By the way, I have tried all the natural remedies for calming him down - nothing works.  About 6 years ago, I took him to the vet (that's when I knew I would never do that again).  They did blood work to make sure he was healthy and then suggested I take him to a kitty shrink to get some kitty prozac.  I wouldn't mind the kitty prozac but I won't take him out again.  I'm afraid with his age and severe reaction, he will have a stroke.