sunshines having her babies FINALLY!

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

5 weeks is way too young. Their mom has a lot of things to teach them as well as them having optimal nutrition. The longer the more socialized and healthy.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TiffanyL

Congrats on your new babies! I was looking in the paper and couldn't believe there were some advertised at 5 weeks old!!
In some states it is illegal to place kittens before 7/8 weeks of age.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darc

yep done at 3. She is very good about letting me pick up the kittys. I don't do it a lot though. She trusts me completely. We have a dog who is curious. He just smells her and them. She does not seem to mind. She lets him do it. I think she does because they are best buds. They would constantly play together until she got pregnant. I still keep an eye on him though. I make sure I give him extra attention so he does not feel negleted. i do have a delima though. Her liter box was kept in the basement and I have not taken it up yet. I don't want it to smell the upstairs. Her box is next to the couch where I keep an eye on her. I keep her food right there though. I have her not seen her go use the liter box. So I am washing her blankets to keep the area clean. Any suggestions? She is a good mom and I am very proud of her. Her babies are very unique looking (I think). They are all black except for some brown markings. How long to you keep the kittens before you give them away? I hear 6-8 weeks. My vet says the longer the better. So I am figuring 8 weeks. Sound about right?
First....unless you know that the people are going to spay/neuter the kittens and keep them up to date on shots...I do not recommend "giving them away". Below is an article on why it is a bad idea:

http://www.cathobbyist.com/articles/...yist/Free.html

Also...I would reconsider having her anywhere where there is only 1 door between her and the outdoors. Cats can become pregnant again as early as a few days after giving birth and we have already had a couple of instances of cats getting out accidentally and coming back pregnant. I would seriously recommend that you keep her and her kittens in a room. Once the kittens decide to explore their surroundings, you will find them getting into places you may not want them to explore and your mom has a good chance of going back into heat again and wanting to get out.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys I am going to take your advice on everything. As far as the dog is concerned we have that covered. Someone is always in the room where the cat is to make sure the dog does not interfere. The only place the cat likes is in the t.v. room. Someone is always in there to keep an eye watch. My husbands band had to play over at our house today. I made sure I moved the cat upstairs so there would not be as much noise. She hates it. I told my husband as soon as they are done he has to move them downstairs where the cat feels comfortable. I told them they also had to play light. So far so good.