Sunday's Question of the Day - Dec 14, 2014

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Late question today because I had a whirlwind weekend with both my family and my boyfriend's - their Christmas celebration was yesterday since it was the only day everyone could attend.

Does your family have any specific holiday traditions? Doesn't have to be strictly Christmas related!

My family doesn't have any real traditions, but it's agreed upon that my dad's generation doesn't gift to each other, but they all gift to each others' kids. My boyfriend's family draws names for Christmas so it's easier on those who have had rough years in the past or who are in between jobs and such, but then about a decade ago, they decided to start writing poems to each other. They're usually facetious and in one way or another, they expose the gifter. His mom is crazy about it - she demands poems and says if there are no poems, they're not having a Christmas.

My boyfriend wrote a poem for me, since he drew my name, about me being a crazy cat lady in training too weak to bend or turn anything more than a twist tie, and I needed all these things to make my birds' toys and assemble cat accessories - I asked for a wrench, screwdriver, needlenosed pliers, and a collapsible crate, and he delivered!

My boyfriend received a poem from his poem-crazy mother and it was the worst poem he'd ever read. For someone so gung-ho about this tradition, her submission was terribly disappointing. Said something along the lines of "he has a cat, no wait, two.. and he lives with Michelle. They have so many animals and he's a lazy slob so their place must be filthy, here's something Michelle will like" and he got a little vacuum. Not in those words, but that was the gist. She did use the word "pizazz".

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. We all used to go to my parents' for a Christmas Eve buffet and to open gifts. It was a loud, boisterous time and, while Mom always complained about the mess, I think we had a good time. 

Probably the only real Christmas tradition now is that Rick and his mom attend Christmas Eve services. Then when he comes home, he and I exchange one small gift, usually a stocking stuffer type item.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a several traditions but some things are more flexible.  One thing I absolutely LOVE to do now is take the kids on a drive to see the Christmas light displays in nearby neighborhoods.  My DS is 2 this year and just SO into it.  I think it's the first year he can really see them from his seat in the car.  We do bake a fair amount of cookies.  I'm trying to limit it to 3 types this year.  Maybe 4 if I have time/patience.  I also buy my kids Christmas jammies every year.  This year I've also picked up new slippers (because they need them) and a robe for DD with one of her favorite cartoon character (Lambie from Doc McStuffins, the slippers for her are also Lambie).  This past weekend our church had it's annual Christmas program.  The little kids sang a song.  DD was nervous but she went up with them and did great!  The teens wrote the play they and some of the older children did afterward.  Our church has always had the teens get involved that way.  it's neat to see what they come up with every year.  There are some really great kids in our church.  Afterward we have some cookie/cupcake/brownie type refreshments and our Pastor's wife and some of the other teachers have put together little gifts for all the kids.  This year's gift had a small toy (marker/pad set for DS and a foam football for DS, Rubber Duckie type toy and piggie bank for DD) but also a little bag with a clementine orange, crackers, lollipop.  That sort of thing.  The kids just love it. 

After that we have our annual candlelight service on Christmas Eve; often followed by a potluck dessert type party at one family's home.  I'm not sure they will do that; the wife passed unexpectedly this year. 
  I haven't gone the last few years because the kids were so small.  DH also works Christmas Eve.  We do dinner with my mother (and step-dad) on Christmas day; she's the only blood-family I have in the area. Some years my mother will do a dinner on Little Christmas as well; but now it's basically birthday season so that has been pushed to the back burner.  My Godson was born 2 days after my DD's birthday; so my BFF and I plan parties around each other's schedule.  My mother is my BFF's DD's Godmother; so that means she ends up involved in everything too. 

I have no idea when or where we are celebrating DD's birthday.  My poor girl; I have a hard time thinking of having a party at this point in the holiday rush!  Several of her friends have moved away this past year; so I'm not totally sure how many kids there will be to invite either! 

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the main one is we always pick some presents to open on Christmas eve, and then open some on Christmas day. I'm an only child and small family so i'm used to celebrating with just my mom and dad. This will be my 1st married Christmas so i think i will instill that tradition with us as well, open some on eve and some on Christmas day. other than that i cant think of any traditions. i just remember how exciting it used to be when i was a kid getting to open some on Christmas eve. Even as an adult i still enjoy it! Its always been a very casual day for me. no crazy dressing up. Anywhere i ever went for Christmas has been like that. I know Hubbies family is the same way so no problems there. Only time i dress up is for a formal office party, then i love running out and getting a nice dress!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only during Chinese New Year (and a couple of special days throughout the year, but those aren't considered holidays). We'd all dress up in various shades of red and gold. My favorite one is a changpao with dragon motifs embroidered on it. Looks exactly like this one:

View media item 249951
I'd wear it when we go visiting relatives or friends. Once my aunt dared me to wear it to college (imagine seeing someone on a street wearing a medieval cloak -- that was how out of place I looked), and if I did it, she'd give me $200. I won the bet. 

The night before is usually an extended family dinner when we'd all drink red wine. Adults would drink the alcoholic one and kids would drink the fake one that tastes sweet. Some form of card playing would then follow.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When My Sister And I Were.Small We Had stockings at the end of.our beds much to dad's dismay. We're Jewish and he was quite religious. This carried on till I was about 8 years old. I don't remember but my sister told me.
Mum made a small Christmas.dinner..
She roasted a turkey and potatoes and Brussel.sprouts yuk. I don't remember if we had dessert.
Then we had Hanukkah. All the presents would be on the bottom shelf of the trolly. Dad would come home and insisted on eating hia supper.first

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops.
then he'd come and light the first candle. He'd make the prayer - we have a prayer for everything!!!!! Then we'd sing a songood and that's when I got into trouble. The song was in.hrebrew.and one verse ended with the.word tee and then I sang the cat's in the cupboard.and he can't catch me.
Mybfsd was furious and I was banned from singing it again :-(

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.
The face should have been :-)
then the.presents yah. And then the candles were lit until all 8 were lit and I never sang that song again.
I hope I didn't bore you all.