Sunday's question of the day 7/21/13

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Sunday everybody

I've been looking through old pictures. I was a teenager in the 80's. I had big hair (like Bon Jovi
).I loved my big hair. I even had a battery operated curling iron for touch-ups during the day. I also wore parachute pants and shoulder pads...yikes!

What fashion trends did you follow that were cool at the time but seem ridiculous today?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Sunday everybody

I've been looking through old pictures. I was a teenager in the 80's. I had big hair (like Bon Jovi
).I loved my big hair. I even had a battery operated curling iron for touch-ups during the day. I also wore parachute pants and shoulder pads...yikes!

What fashion trends did you follow that were cool at the time but seem ridiculous today?
Hammer time ?  lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wore great big plastic-framed glasses. And, yeah, a lot of my dresses had big shoulder pads, but I didn't go out of my way to wear them---that's just how dresses were back then! But, oh, those glasses. . .

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wore stirrup pants and flannel shirts at one point in the 90's
, not by choice though. . .My mom was still picking out my clothes at that point. I never really dress up to date, if I like it I wear it, sometimes it is in style, sometimes it's far from it lol.

I wore a lot of super baggy jeans, not like sagging but just big legs. . .I fell in those jeans to

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Nothing because it's all come back again!  But they would look ridiculous on me today as what I wore in the 60s and 70's is really not a good look when you're 57

I really hated the shoulder pad and perm look of the 80s and managed to keep it at bay.

I remember when really, really pale lipstick was in (early 1970s) and my mother kept telling me to 'stop pouting' as it did make lips look like that (which I think was the whole idea).  I certainly wouldn't be wearing it now.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh I don't know!  I remember wearing those black and neon spandex biker shorts with a big tshirt as a kid.  I guess I've never been super trendy.  Actually; there is no guessing, I've never been trendy! 
  So a lot of what I wore could be humorous.  Chunky shoes were in when I was in high school.  Some of those would drive me nuts to walk in today; just because they were either heavy or noisy!  

I just know that someday I'm going to look back at our clothing from NOW and be glad I've never been in a pair of skinny jeans! 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to like the big chunky shoes! I had a pair of shoes that were so high on a platform people used to ask me if I could breathe "way up there".
They were navy blue, they tied, and they were just awesome. I used to be able to run in them and I never once fell.....wouldn't even try that now as I'd probably break a hip or something. But oh, I loved those shoes. They made me so tall....when you're only 5'5", tall is good.

I had the "hair" too. Not that big, but the curling iron was my friend. With the feathered-type look. (I much prefer to wash, dry, and go...I don't have that much time to spend dealing with hair).

Had a pair or two of the bigger glasses. My sunglasses now are bigger....I like them bigger for more protection for my eyes.

That was pretty much it for me.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1972. Pink Van Heusen 417 ribbed knit shirt with a zipper at the neckline with a big brass ring pull, white bell bottom pants with vertical olive green and burnt sienna stripes, black patent leather and green velour platform shoes with 1 inch soles and 2 inch heels.  I thought I was one of the best dressed guys in the barracks.

kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did the shoulder pads in a major way.  Like I had different pads and velcro I had attached so I could switch them out depending on if I wanted a little padding or a lot.  It was so silly.  And the other thing I remember is the hugely wide elastic belts.  Oh my gosh those belts were a crime against fashion for sure.  :)  LOL!  A belt four inches high with this really stretchy elastic in all sorts of colors to cinch up those huge what they would call now "boyfriend shirts."  Lol  and dress pants that came up to my ankles and dress boots that were ankle high so you wore the flood pants so everyone could see the ankle boots.  LOL!  And of course the bangle bracelets from hell ... wow, I'm glad I don't have to wear that stuff any more.  :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Sunday everybody

I'm with you. Sounds like a lot of the same stuff I did/had, except for the parachute pants, never had any of those!

I got perms, & had the big hair too. Little did I need them w/ natural curly hair though! I guess it wasn't curly enough, & just didn't know how to style it properly back then!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Another one for 80's big hair here! :wavey: it was amazing what you could do with Aqua Net and a blow dryer. :lol3:

Last edited:

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone remember wearing legwarmers in the mid 80's? Think Jennifer Beals & "Flashdance"... Just a small town girl on a Saturday night....remember that song?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to like the big chunky shoes!
:yeah: My older sister had these very, very high silver platform shoes (something similar to this one ---> and I used to sneak them from her closet and wear them while she was not around. She finally got me a pair for Christmas one year! I also wore the bell bottoms and had the big curly hair. The blouses with the giant collars were also popular. I think I still have a few of those somewhere. :lol3:

Last edited:

catdavidlouis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had a mullet (lol). Hey, it worked for some people-- maybe not. Still lookin for it to make a comeback--maybe not. 

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ahhh,,,,the 1980's.  I never had big hair, as mine refused to grown fast (which, of course, it does NOW, when I don't want it to). I went through a punk rock phase--I dyed my hair purple, black, orange, yellow, etc. I would wear zebra print mini-skirts, high heels, and black fishnet stockings!

I also pierced multiple holes in my ears, with big safety pins. Yep. Several times over.

Kids, you've never lived until you've gone out the front door wearing all of the above AND a black and white "snow leopard" print tight shirt that had the words, "Sid Vicious lives" written on it in fake blood.

My husband now says that I dress like a librarian. If he'd only had known me back then...
 Librarian, indeed!

Wanna feel OLD? Then get accosted by a nice teenaged girl in Goodwill, who is trying to find clothes for an '80's party, and asks you how she should dress. Thanks, kid. Jeesh, next thing you know, they'll be selling those CD compilations of '80's rock music as "oldies". Oh, wait a minute--they already do!

Damned kids.
 Get off my lawn!

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Had a mullet (lol). Hey, it worked for some people-- maybe not. Still lookin for it to make a comeback--maybe not. 
"mullet" and "comeback" should never be used in the same sentence, unless you're talking fish.