Sunday lunch/dinner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bumpy

Actually this is the first time I heard of a special meal on Sunday or any other day, short of some special celebration. What is the purpose of the special meal?
I think the origin of the Sunday roast dates back to times when meat, and money, was short. There'd be a piece of meat, that was sliced at on Sunday, cold cuts on Monday, stew on Tuesday, And the rest of the week soups or stews made from the stock, bones or leftovers, with more and more veg and potatoes added till the end of the week, and back to a new roast on Sunday.

Ah.... the good old days!!!

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like left over Thanksgiving
I am all about some left over turkey sandwiches!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a big cleanup of the :censor::censor::censor::censor: today. I made a roast chicken with mashed potatoes, mashed yams, green beans and I had some apples that we had gotten from the orchard a couple weeks ago that were getting soft so I made applesauce. This time of year all our friends and neighbours give us their extra green tomatoes which had ripened on the counter so I peeled and chopped them up and make a fresh tomato and basil sauce for Tuesday night.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

Friends at church today invited us to come home with them for a special Sunday meal.
We had had, boiled potatoes, collards and homemade biscuits. I usually cook us a hot meal every night around six or six thirty.
What are collards?

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to try to make up something on Sunday, usually something Italian. I don't much anymore, since I really don't like to cook. My bf made us vegetarian tacos today.