Summer?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Summers Drive. Cedar Hill, TX. We have almost a foot of snow, and it's still coming down.

My trip tonight to Houston has been postponed until tomorrow morning, at the earliest.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If things keep up, they may need to change the street name to Winter Drive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's still coming down, and probably will until midnight. Then it's gonna freeze solid. Right now it's extemely wet and heavy.

This is approaching record territory. I'm not sure what the record is, but any time you get over 8 inches here, you're pushing the envelope.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, of course not.

On the other hand, we have a couple of ice storms every winter. Usually a light mist and temperatures just under 32. When we see this, we know to stay at home. It's the newcomers from up north and new drivers here who have troubles with it.

Why?

Because at 32 degrees, ice has a coefficient of friction down very close to 0. Get down to 10 degrees, and that COF goes up high enough to be much easier to drive on. Northerners are used to those colder temperatures (except for the occasional spring or fall storm, usually!).

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So do you have "black ice"??
The road crews put so much salt down on our roads ice isn't usually a problem. The black ashpalt highways are gray this time of year. My problem is following someone driving waay to slow when we have snowy conditions which is just as bad driving too fast.

Happy shoveling!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You DO know I don't own a snow shovel, right?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the last time it snowed here in Bakersfield. It was Jan 1999 and we got about 6 inches. It had drifted against our garage and we could not open it to get the car out. DH called in to work stating that he was unable to come in and before I could call my job, my boss called me and told me to stay home.

Now I grumble when I go out to the car in the morning and have a layer of ice on the windows. DH has to get a bucket of water to thaw the ice so I can see to drive to work.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it was all said and done, we got about 11.5 inches. DFW got 12 inches, which was over half again the old record of 7.2 inches for snowfall in one day here.

Yet another "datum" on global warming!

I'm about to head out to the DC to get my truck dug out, hooked up, and head to Houston.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I have an aunt and uncle in TX and my aunt was telling me about all the snow they've been getting.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen enough snow to last me a lifetime this Winter and the season is just beginning. If it weren't for the snow and ice, I wouldn't care if Summer never got here.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's about time someone else shares in the misery. I have so much snow on the ground, I feel like I want to
with each flake that falls. It is still snowing here and I haven't seen the bare ground since early December. We had 3 feet on the ground at the beginning of January. I didn't mean to laugh, but it's good to know others have to deal with it now

I have seen enough snow to last me a lifetime this Winter and the season is just beginning
Just beginning?? We only have a month of winter left before the calender says it's spring. Although in this part of NE Ohio, we can get snow in April. It's been a long long winter so far or at least feels that way to me.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its been a light snow winter for us vs the past 2 years. I think we've only gotten 33 inches or so of snow this season so far. But like John says we have over a month left of winter!