Summer Ends Instantly. What do you Cook in Cold Weather?

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH WOW!!! I love your idea!!! That is an excellent family treasure!! I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea, I had thought of something to put together for my son so that when he marries one day, he can pass it to his wife, a journal of stuff, pics and my recipes...but yours, wow...great idea, you should publish it with all the cookbooks out there, I'm sure yours would make a great deal of money!

I'm all for the idea, we could all submit our recipes, pics of ourselves and furbabies and a little tidbit of info...maybe we should start a recipe thread so that anyone who wants to share it can post it in there in one thread...

suzy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking that - starting a favorite recipes thread. Does anyone know if there's one out there already? Because I'd love to have the recipes for a lot of the things people mentioned here.

Jellybelly, what's chicken tikka?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Pat & Alix
I'll soon be making Kapusta (my mil recipe) - a cabbage/bacon dish, my Italian grandmother's recipe for potato croquets, and her bracciole recipe more often (just had this last week..yum!), eggplant parmesan, ham and scalloped potatoes, chicken fricassee...and most special...my english great-gram's recipe for chili sauce ( great used in meatloaf, or for leftover roast beef or turkey sandwiches) - which if anyone wants, I'd be glad to post here.
I'll take any and all recipes please - love the family treasures.

Cabbage/bacon in Kapusta? I make mine with pork, sausage, saurkraut, onion, celery and mashed potatoes! (I'm part Polish and my husband is a purebred).

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Jellybelly
I'm all for the idea, we could all submit our recipes, pics of ourselves and furbabies and a little tidbit of info...maybe we should start a recipe thread so that anyone who wants to share it can post it in there in one thread...
Do it! Do it! Do it!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
I'll take any and all recipes please - love the family treasures.

Cabbage/bacon in Kapusta? I make mine with pork, sausage, saurkraut, onion, celery and mashed potatoes! (I'm part Polish and my husband is a purebred).
My husband is half swedish and half czech...it's his mom's recipe.
I don't want to flood this thread with recipes, so will start one called Family recipes...folks can post there, and do whatever they want re a cookbook etc.

and I'd like your recipe for Kapusta please, that sounds delicious!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, it would be SO easy to put together a PDF of recipes from TCS, with pics and bios and all that too! Then it would just be a matter of emailing or putting it somewhere for anyone to download....no expense for anyone, printing, binding, mailing, etc.

Oh, and Kass you and Rob and Nakita are more than welcome to come to my place for turkey dinner!
We always go a bit nuts since at Thanksgiving our local grocery store sells turkeys dirt cheap...I mean $4 for an under 18 lb. turkey, $5 or $6 for an over 18 lb. Since we don't have freezer space so we have to buy within a week of Thanksgiving (and we love turkey!) we inevitably end up with a 22-24 lb bird! And Kass, don't be scared to make a turkey (or whole chicken for that matter). Roasting birds is SO easy!! (And I do the no-baste method so I just prep and stick it in the oven)

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Suzy!!! It seems I'm not reading this thread completely

chicken tikka is like tandoori...but after running a search for it I'm way confused..indians make it a curry, Bangladeshis make it like a tandoori but call it tikka
anyway, bunch of spices (corriander, cumene, masala, etc), mixed with garlic, ginger, yogurt and lemon juice. Mix it, marinate overnight. I bake mine for 20 minutes and then put them on the grill fo 15-20 minutes depending on the size and baste with melted butter. Very yummy!!! Meat falls off the bone

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a few cool days here (60's) but today it's back up to the 80's. I like cooking more when it's cooler too. My favorite fall food is Chilli!

big kat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let's do a TCS Members cookbook!!!

I love to cook and have many favorite recipes. The weather where I live now doesn't ever get too hot so I cook soups and stews and baked goods throughout the year! I have a only a few recipes that have been passed down in my family, but I love to try new recipes all the time, and I get them from cooking magazines or from epicurious.com.